Installing a clutch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloney88

Hey I'm going to be taking out a clutch and slave cylinder and putting in a new one this weekend... never done this before so was looking for some tips if anyone knows anything about it, for example any special tools i might need? Any advice welcomed thanks

cheers mate, mark 5 fiesta or mark 4? or will they be the same? mines 1998 1.7

As Martin points out the Haynes 3397 ('95-'02) is the way to go.
You can do it with a fairly basic tool kit, no real special tools required, you will need some good axle stands and a decent jack. A second pair of hands is useful for refitting the box.

How did it go? I need to get this done on my Puma and would love to try it myself :) I heard it is very challenging to remove some of the bolts, did you find this? Also, do you have to lift the gearbox yourself or did you get a jack or something for it?

When I did mine I did have a few problems with bolts, mainly on the suspension. Ended up removing the wishbone and strut in one go because I could not split them.
I also had to chock the engine up on blocks because I only have one jack. The box comes out the bottom so you have to lift the car quite high.
It is also a mighty pain in the a*** getting the box back on, if you are doing it solo because the engine is free to wobble and you have to push it about a bit to re-engage the splines whilst negotiating the framework inside the engine bay.
I did it in a long weekend, but then I spent a day changing oil seals, gear oil, roll bar rubbers, generally cleaning and faffing about, if you crack on its a long days work at home, half a day in a garage with power tools I guess.

put the clutch in this weekend. i had problems with the bolt on the bottom of the suspension leg, the 15mm bolt that holds on a plate that stops the gearbox from coming out. i had a hydraulic jack with a block of wood on to support the gearbox as i was dropping it down... when i got the clutch out it came out in pieces! haha bearings were purple where it was so fucked... now i have replaced this i realised straight away that i need a new gearbox now :( its still making the same noise when the clutch pedal is up, i been told its prob the bearings on no1 gear shaft cause it pops out of first gear. on the matter of the gearbox will a 1999 gearbox fit on a 98 model? i see that the gearboxes look the same from what i can see so im guessing it would be ok to put a 99 one on.

yep. try and get a 1.4 box if you can.. same ratios as the frp!!!!

If you are in the mood for spending, Flash was selling new FRP boxes not sure if they all had LSDs but check his thread in the parts for sale section.

i got a gearbox for 80quid and its getting put in tomorrow hopefully :) 3 month on it warranty too.

Latest posts

Back