Interior heating problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberjohnson

Hi,

The interior heating is playing up. Started a month or two back when it decided when it was going to give hot or cold air, rather than on request. Now it just blows hot. When it started playing up I felt the HCV (replaced a year ago, used the proper Ford part as I've had problems with other ones before) and noticed that on full 'cold' setting I could sometimes still feel it 'thumping' (opening and closing), i.e. it wasn't recognising that it should be fully closed, but the HCV was working.
Now I can't feel it 'thumping' at all, on any setting. I tried a replacement heating control module with no success (subsequently tested original and replacement and the resistor seems fine, going from about 10k to zero).
I have put a meter across the terminals on the plug going into the HCV and I get zero at one, 14v (when the car is running) at the other, whatever setting I have on the heating dial.
I assume that the HCV should be getting either zero or 14v, for either closed or open, and it should jump between the two to make the solenoid work for different times depending on the heater setting?

All in all, this says to me that the wiring is working at the HCV(I get 14v) the heater controls are working (the resistor is functioning) but there's something stopping the on/off signal from the controls getting to the HCV. But this is partly guesswork, I don't know how the electrics function for the HCV.

Before I start pulling the dash apart trying to trace any problems, and try and dig out the correct wiring diagrams from the Ford Service CD, has anyone got any pointers? Things I could be trying to home in on the problem? Electrics aren't my strong point, so any and all tips gratefully accepted!

Cheers!

I'll look at this one properly later on. Meantime, is your digital clock working and have you checked Fuse 2 as OK (10A, if I recall) ?

Link from PumaPeople:
http://www.pumapeople.com/wiki/index.php?title=Changed_HCV_and_Still_Have_Problems
Quote (but read the rest):
"The volt meter should periodically switch between operating voltage (about 12 - 14V) and ground (about 0V), every few seconds. If it does this, then you know that your heater control panel (and the wiring between it and the HCV) is working correctly. If you don't get this fluctuation of voltage every few seconds, then there's something wrong with the heater control panel or the wiring/connections."

Thanks for the suggestions.
Looks like I may have fixed it. I put the replacement unit back in again to try giving it another go: success! The HCV started working. Not sure what was wrong with the old heater control panel, but we've been noticing the bulbs have been a little erratic in it for a while. Looking carefully, it looks like one of the components has burnt out (the spot just above the point of my circuit tester in the photo). Not sure what it is, but something untoward has happened.

Cheers again!
:eek:k:

Attachments

• small-board.jpg
    small-board.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back