It's all about the octane?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lusid666

Flitting around on youtube and came across this. Informative and quite amusing :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYlk9C1o0nk[/youtube]

Brilliant find pal, that guy should have his own show, I am going to let my better half watch that as she is covinced our C-Max runs better on the ridiculously overpriced "super" fuel.
Years ago and I do mean years, I tried adding more shots of redex to my 2 stroke moped to make it go faster, result......wasted shots of redex!!
I then tried skimming the head (by hand with a large flat file!!) now that really did give it some much needed go......until 50 miles later it melted the plug :oops:
So, back to normal fuel then methinks and put the money back in my wallet, or spend it as suggested on a hooker

In my experience, it depends on the engine as to whether the octane rating makes any difference. Neither of my road-going 1.4 hatchbacks will see any difference, but my carburetor'd motorbike runs like a bag of spanners on 95 and anybody with an E46 M3 will tell you the woes of being a cheapskate, as they limp to BMW to have their EML reset.

Basically, if it's on carbs or super high performance, then the higher octane fuel will show a benefit as the ignition timing can be advanced and it's generally less likely to pink.

TGPlayer1 said:
[post]358400[/post] In my experience, it depends on the engine as to whether the octane rating makes any difference. Neither of my road-going 1.4 hatchbacks will see any difference, but my carburetor'd motorbike runs like a bag of spanners on 95 and anybody with an E46 M3 will tell you the woes of being a cheapskate, as they limp to BMW to have their EML reset.

Basically, if it's on carbs or super high performance, then the higher octane fuel will show a benefit as the ignition timing can be advanced and it's generally less likely to pink.

I started to fill my old E46 M3 with normal unleaded once before I realised.. Even on 1/2 95 and 1/2 99 it wasn't running very smoothly.

The manual for the Focus says:

We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 95 RON. Use premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 98 RON or higher for optimal performance of your vehicle. Recommended fuels are an important part of the correct maintenance and optimal performance of your vehicle. Fuels with octane ratings below 95 RON are not recommended. The use of gasoline with an octane rating lower than 95 RON can lead to severe mechanical damage. This may also degrade vehicle performance and could lead to engine damage that may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

That's me told then :pinkeye:

Latest posts

Back