I've crashed! How much will this cost?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdufski

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to this site and need some help please. I was just wondering if anyone has had to replace the steering rack on their Puma? I slid on black ice and crashed my Puma into a kerb yesterday :-( and the garage says that the steering rack will possibly need replacing as it's damaged. They can give me a price next week, but I wanted to know how much it might be??? Also, it is safe to drive?

The rear axle bushes and front anti roll bar bushes need replacing too. Is it all going to cost me a fortune???

Argh! :evil:
Karena

Plenty of racks on eBay:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=ford+puma+steering+rack&_sacat=See-All-Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might want to try an offer on this new genuine Ford one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-PUMA-FIESTA-POWER-STEERING-RACK-NEW-UNUSED_W0QQitemZ300316000294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45ec3a8026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks peeps. I'll see what the garage quotes on Monday and then possibly bid/buy one of the racks from ebay if they quote too much. At least its given me an idea of how much it might cost. One slide on the ice and it's cost me a few hundred quid! Nightmare. I think I'll try and drive a bit more carefully in future... :twisted:

iv got a spare rack, great condition. no track rod ends tho.... £50 posted if want

but... you sure its the rack thats knackered & not just bent a track rod? they unscrew & less than £20 new

Well, the guy at the local garage said it's 'possible that the steering rack is damaged' so I'm a bit confused really as I'm sure it would be definitely damaged or not damaged. What do you think? Maybe I need a second opinion! Does anyone know of any decent garages in the Manchester area that might be able to give me an honest second opinion? Obviously I dont mind paying for the work if it needs doing! :grin:

yep, it either works or it doesnt!

if the trackings out then my money is on a track rod being bent, cheap as chips

benking smacked his car really hard last year & it only bent the track rod. talked him through swapping it, saved a fortune & loads of time cos he didnt need to do the whole rack

If ya can get it to my uncle he does all the woprk on my cat- but he is in Shaw near Oldham?

Any use- drop me a aPM and i'll sort ya his number out

how fast did you hit the kerb at?? I hit a kerb at 10mph and nothing was damaged bar a flat tyre which took most of the impact whlst i was going sideways towards the kerb. :p

like jacko said Double check that its the rack thats damaged and not just the arms or track rod

The likely hood is you have just bent a steering arm and the rack is fine,

Both the track rods and steering arms are easily changed at a fraction of the cost of a steering rack

Garage trying to pull a fast one??

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It's appreciated. Sounds like my local garage is a bit dodgy to me as the steering seems fine - just a little bit of play in the wheel, but nothing that seems too serious.

I was going about 20-25mph when I hit the kerb and there was a loud bang - tbh I expected them to stay a buckled wheel or something, but they said nothing is bent. My rim is REALLY scuffed though!!! :(

Scotty1.7, have just sent a PM for your uncles number. Cheers, should be able to take it up on Friday if he has time to check over it for me. Fingers crossed it's something smaller than the rack!

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've been to see Scotty1.7's uncle and he was really helpful. It turns out that I don't need a new steering rack like my local garage said and you all thought. Im so annoyed that they lied as my other half and my whole family have been going there for years - it makes me wonder about any work they've done in the past!!! I need new front roll bar bushes, rear axel bushes and my brake pads need doing too. The tracking is out from the crash but I should be able to get that sorted tomorrow. 2 of my rims are in desperate need of a refurb too so I think that'll have to be done next week sometime.

It's just nice for someone to be honest really as I'm a girl and most garages treat you like you're daft. I'm happy to have work done that needs doing but it makes me mad when they take advantage...

Cheers again Scott. Much appreciated :)

Hag she has a aset of Ace alloys- 17's which look really nice on the car i have to say

Does anyone know the cost for labour on replacing a power steering rack? Getting my PAS looked at tomorrow and don't want a nasty surprise in the garage.

Just had my tie rod (steering rack arm) replaced yesterday along with the track rod end and cost £65 including parts and labour and another £30 for a new tyre.

Replaced a steering rack in a MK4 fiesta last year Garage charged me £30 labour.

Back