Jade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the starting issue slowly started creeping back. So I thought I would whip the coil pack off and swap it for the one I took off the focus before she went to scrappers (poor cow, starting to think it would have been cheaper getting her through MOT). While I was at it thought I would change the rocker cover gasket as the new one arrived at the shop I use. Picked up some oil, new oil filter and some carb cleaner. So on to draining the old oil. Found the draining nut and preceded to undo. Well thats as far as I got with that idea. I think the Hulk has tightened it up and then superman did that laser shit with his eyes on it. Tried for about 15 mins to undo but couldn't get any purchase on it as the car was on the trolley jack and not very high. Need to get some axle stands. So I sacked that idea off and the filter for now. Cracked on with the rocker cover gasket. Followed the guide on here, everything was going well until the last of the 4 nuts holding the cover down (why is ity always the last one, Aaaaggghhhhh), the nut would appear to have had the treatment of the Hulk and Superman too, not to mention batman, captain caveman, hong kong fuey, the Rock and the Joker. Needless to saythe nut didn't undo, but decided to take the whole bolt out that goes into the head instead. Removed the cover and tried to remove the bolt, but gave up as I was going to damage something, mor e than likely the cover and I wasn't prepared to do that as her in doors needs the motor tomorrow. Anyways, gets the gasket on, puts it all back together, cleaned maf sensor with carb cleaner, sprayed lambada connection too and voila........she's up and running. Fired up the diag software, checked maf readings, o2 sensor voltage and short term fuel trim, and all is now working, wahoo.

Thought I would give her a quick bez down the bypass, and 1st gear isn't hesitating now (at the moment anyway) 2nd has some nice pull and 3rd, well, blow me. This thing shifts. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
I don't think this is the end of my problems, but a good start to correcting some poor treatment of what was sure to have been a nice motor at some point. Need to get the drainage bolt out and the new filter on. I will try again in the next couple of days.

Blimey! Cracking through the problems aren't you! The sump plug was about the only part of mine that wasn't nigh-on impossible to shift - the filter put up a bigger fight, but the 205 GTi I had before took huge amounts of effort. Basically had to hammer the thing off with a chisel.

Good luck!

Thanks Arch.

Hoping it doesn't come to the old hammer & chisel game, lol. I think if I can get her high enough at the front end, I should be able to get some purchase on it. If the bolt aint knackered that is.

I've checked the schematics for older and newer light dimming and on newer models the dimming is probably integrated in the gem (general electric module..) and on older models the delay is in a separate relay. so not swappable straight away.

So I had the day off from work today, thought I would just tinker about. Got the engine cover out that I bought for a quid and thought I would offer it up, just to see how it looked, but I couldn't get it to sit flush. Now upon inspection I noticed that from pictures I have seen, my Cam Shaft Sensor electrical connection is 180 degrees the wrong way. I then noticed it didn't have the metal bracket that holds it down. It had just been bolted down. So of to the scrappers I went, bonus, it had one on. Got home, sorted it out and cover looked a good fit.

So me being me, and a bit of an eager git, found a brand new tin of spray paint in the garage, Metallic Blue. So, instead of going down the graphite look with green "Zetec" and Red "S" I have given it 2 coats of blue.

Not too shabby I think. Need to rub it down with some fine paper, then a few more coats. Not sure on what colour to do the "Zetec" now, but defo going red on the "S". Then 4/5 coats of clear laquer.

Hopefully weather is going to be nice tomorrow as I have another day off and was going to do a bit tomorrow. New Aux belt and re-adjust back brakes.

After cleaning MAF sensor and spraying the Lambada sensor, I am now getting some good readings and seems to be working. I do still get the P0135 error coming up, even after clearing the fault, but fuel economy seems a lot better though.

Seg

Just to protect from scratches mate. Maybe a bit overkill though. Lol

Well after conceding on the head gasket, finally got her back on tuesday. Ive not had a chance to drive her yet, but the missus says she is loads better. She has to go back saturday to have the bolts changed in the exhaust manifold where the cat joins. Then new carpet off Quest going in and a general tidy up.

Seg

Thanks Arch.

It would seem I can't be trusted with this cat. First time I take it out after hg repaired I find myself being spoken to by the old bill. :grin:
I was driving up the main road behind an unmarked corsa, turned up the road where I live, corsa decided to turn the same way when they saw which way I was going. They then slowed down and pulled over. I then pulled around them applying a little throttle, bearing in mind she has just had hg, new plugs, oil filter, oil, coil pack, water pump, radiator, o2 sensor, thermostat and hosing, this cat has a new lease of life. Anyway, I pulled up at the top of the hill where I live and who should pull along side, that's right thee fuzz. Passenger winds window down, I open mind door reveling my nice blue footwells. Alrighyt I said, were the police was the reply, followed by well done, what do you want? Going a bit quick weren't you? No, its 30 mph up here. You were doing a bit more than that. I think you will probably find I wasn't as I looked at my speed just after I clocked you being the police. Well just watch your speed lad was the reply just before they drove off.

Now after all that, I was literally doing 32mph second gear, changed to 3rd which then took me to 29mph. It may have looked like I was speeding as just as they were slowingn down to pull over, they were doing 10 mph, I obviously had to put foot down a little to safely manoeuvre round them and pull back in safely whilst not causing an obstruction to oncoming traffic had there been any.

Looking forward to my next outing now.

Seg

I may be wrong but I think there is or at least used to be a margin where you could exceed the speed limit by a certain percent for a certain percentage of a mile so as to safely overtake. Might have changed though,

I think they were looking in for it to be honest mate. They clocked a young good looking lad in a puma lmao. Power accelerating won't have helped though.

I can tell how it is in Croatia. For speed limits up to 100 kph the tolerance is 10 kph. So if the speed limit is 60 kph, you are perfectly safe as long as you don't go over 70 kph.
For the speeds over 100 kph the tolerance is 10%. On motorway the general speed limit is 130 kph, plus 10% equalls 143 kph. But, and this is my favourite, in his clarity and whisdom, the law maker didin't foresee ANY sanction if you are going faster up to 10 kph over legal speed limit for the speeds exceeding 100 kph. That effectively gives you a legal travelling motorway speed of 153 kph!

Hi Guys.

Not been around much what with work commitments. Not been able to do much on car what with the bloody weather and work, but did manage to make one slight addition:

My mate is supposed to be getting me some green ones so I will swap them over when I get them.

Seg

Hi guys.

Its been a while since my last update. Had quite a few work commitments, been I'll, PC upgrade and of course another frickin issue with the car.

Here goes. Exactly 32 days after having the head gasket done, our lass gets in the car to bugger off to her mates for a bit. So I stand at the window looking at the sexy bitch, with our lass sat in her waiting for them to set off. The car took a little while to start and when it did, sounded lumpy as hell (the car, not our lass). It was at that moment as she gave it some gas, loads of white smoke came out of her arse (again, the car, not our lass). Then off she went. When she got back, I asked when did that start she said the day before. So I nipped out and checked the usuall and low and behold water in header proper low, oil at min. When I took cap off header tank a loud hiss followed by a smell of petrol/exhaust gas. Mayo on bottom of oil cap. (Only checked levels 4 days earlier). "YOUR AVIN A F@CKIN GIRAFFE". Now I'm no mechanic, but I can find my way round a toolbox, and this Looks to me like the fecking head gasket again.

Now my thinking here is that the numpty that did it just over a month ago hasn't torqued it up right as the rocker cover wasn't tight enough either. Fecking cowboy.

What do you guys think? Going back on Saturday. He can't possibly charge me for owt can he?

Seg

Any mention of warranties or guarantees on any receipts?

Did they supply the part(s)?

If they supplied the parts, which could have turned faulty, then I would have thought they should be able to sort it out for you and claim themselves against the faulty part(s)?

Unless they are the type of people to argue the toss with you.......

Cheers for replies guys.

No mention of guarantees on receipt, but he originally said he wouldn't change gasket without skimming head as he couldn't guarantee how long it would last, so that should have been done. They supplied the parts too. Although neither timing or aux belt was replaced, when I asked why he said it would add to the price. My answer was why not ring me as I would have said do it anyway.

Just been to pick up the belts today to send up with the car on Saturday. Also just ordered a cam locking tool for possible future jobs.

Proper knarked. I was hoping to get a set of mintex discs and pads today and a straight through centre pipe too.

Seg

Back