Just pads upgrade?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickaroll

Hi,

I'm the proud new owner of a Puma 1.7 Black edition, with ABS, but I'm a little disappointed with the stopping power of the stock brakes. I've had a major service done, and it's certainly better since, but just doesn't slow down as quick as my Hed Indoor's 10 year old Yaris (believe it or not).
That said, I don't want to go too crazy, I was wondering if I would get a noticeable improvement in braking from simply replacing the pads with something like a Mintex pad. Do you need upgraded discs too?

It depends on how worn your disks are mate, always a good idea to do them both at the same time.
Mintex do some very good pads that work well with stock disks, also there are very mixed reviews about Green Stuff pads but work well on cars up to 200bhp.

My greenstuffs burnt themselves away in no time (can't remember how long but they weren't old) despite me being a light braker so do not recommend! If you have the earlier Puma brakes changing them to the later Puma ones makes a nice difference without going mad/expensive! :)

Remember that the Puma servo isn't the most over enthusiastic. On the plus side it gives you more feel for braking as it's not a binary "on" or "off"

Thanks all. My Black has the 258mm discs from what I've read on here, however, I've had the wheel off to have a look, and my mechanic reckons they're not ready to be replaced like-for-like yet.

I've read on here about Brake-in-a-box, discs and pads from Mintex, looks the part, though I think I might have lost the bottle to do the work myself, might ask mechanic.

I saw an ad for Mintex pads suggesting approx 50% improvement over OE pads, which would easily warrant replacing them, and it looks to be a cheap (<£100) upgrade, as opposed to some crazy-sounding money to replace the whole set-up (I've heard figures north of £600 bandied around).

Back