Leak?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lib319

I had my passenger side front wheel off the other day and saw some fluid. Is this a leaking CV joint? and whats it cost to fix?

nearside.jpg

deffo looks like CV grease to me....

I know you can get quick fix kits with a pack of grease in for this problem, never used them myself but heard it works from others that have :)

although the c.v boot itself IIRC arent expensive themselves..

Cheers Zara, can't find a kit at Halfords or Autosave websites.

What is the difference between inner and outer cv joints?

Anyone used this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-STRETCH-CV-BOOT-GAITER-KITS-FORD-EASY-FIT-/180522713523?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a07fe01b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK understood. I'm going to buy the kit and see how I get on. Removing the hub isn't too hard I'm hoping.

"Removing the hub isn't too hard I'm hoping."

You don't actually have to remove the hub, if repairing on the car. You probably will find it difficult with that amount of rust around, if they've not been off before.
If you haven't done it before, there's quite a lot of work involved. For example, you need to disconnect track rod end and lower arm ball joints from the hub carrier (and these can be a real pain if rusted in), it may be worth your while getting a Haynes Fiesta manual. You'll also need a pair of circlip pliers.
Good luck.

The ball joints were a problem when I did mine and thats a Thunder, registered in February 2002. I used a bit (lot!) of brute force on mine, as I was replacing the ball joints anyway and damaged the rubber seals on the old ones as well as the lower arm pinch bolts.

Latest posts

Back