leaky gearbox? also a bit of things i have done or am doing

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

i have had my puma 1.7 for about a month now it cost me £350.00 with 12 months m.o.t. and 1 months tax bargain, first problem i had was the sump was leaking fixed that got new magnetic sump plug witch is well worth getting (£5.00) from ebay so any metal that comes out the engine would stick straight to the sump and wouldnt be floating around the engine.now from underneaf my car where sump is totaly clean and free from oil.but now i have 2 leaks looks like one coming from the gearbox and the other near where the cambelt is. could someone please tell me where the plug for the gearbox is as i think i might need filling up and i dont wont my gearbox to go bang and also what sort of gearbox oil is best does ford use a spacific sort or do they do there own oil?also who i bought the puma off had fixed the drivers side rear wheel arch with fibre glass and it was a bit of a messy job so i bought some sand paper,primer and black spray. i could not afford the filler at the moment so i sanded the fibre glass down and it had like a kind of cheesy consistantcy i got it as flat as i could then primed and sprayed black come out better than i thought it would and will do till next month when i get some filler and luckely the spray was an exact match to the colour of the car.hopefully someone can send a photo of where the fill point for gearbox oil isthankyou to everyone who can help me. i love this car and month by month i am rebuilding a part of the car each month i also have just bought some 17" wheels and 3 of them had the same tread and were very new and the 4th the tread is only slightly different so i will be getting a new tyre for that wheel. now with those wheels and tyres on it handles like it is on rails its great 8) :-D

Leak from the cambelt area is most probably the crankshaft seal. It is PIAS of a job; you need to take down both belts and pulley to get to the seal.
The gearbox has only one plug. It is meant for controlling the oil level as well for topping up. You will find the plug facing forward (allen socket needed) towards radiator. The leak from gearbox is most probably one of the driveshafts seal leaking

i have just recived my k&n 57i and fitted it today and as soon as i drove down the road noticed how much quicker it is i would recomend this to anyone. now just waiting for my spark plugs ngk hopefully tommorow . also when i took the engine cover off noticed a bit of oil there where someone had missed the oil hole so had to clean this out. does anyone know where you can get the rear wheel arches cut out and new ones welded in for a reasonable price thankyou :p

Latest posts

Back