loss of power

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puma black ;)

hey guys got a bit of a problem ive got a 2001 1.7 puma, its been moded slightly i.e full piper exhaust system, piper cams, pipercross viper induction kit and its been remaped, the problem is over the last couple of weeks its started to loose alot of power on accelerating, oil is all ok as i no the vct is oil pressure opperated, the engine management light is on and the fault code is showing up the lambda but the light was on since fitting the 4 branch manifold
(i just faught this was due to having to remove one of the lambda`s as the 4 branch does not have a hole for the lambda???)

Is yours the 2 lambda model? If so, & you don't have a cat fitted, that's what's causing your MIL light to come on. If it's the single lambda, then the lambda sensor might be nackard, it will generally cause black sooty carbon build up, hesitation on acceleration, very rich running engine ect. Another thing to look at is how the lambda was fitted, usually when a 4-2-1 is fitted, you need to extend the lambda lead, or get a longer one. If yours has been extended, a wire could have come loose, or burnt if it's not been strapped up properly, & been allowed to get too close to the exhaust. That's just a few suggestions, I hope it helps.

yep its the model with two lambdas,the manifold lambda has been removed but the one just befor the cat is still there, its got a piper race cat on it i pulled the lambda out this morning and give it a quick clean it does seem to run slightly better on idle but its the same when accelerating,all wires and connections seem to be ok unless they have broken down internerly?? ive been advised that it may be the throttle position sensor? apparantly these brake down quite often? ive checked the plugs beceause the rocker cover was leaking oil before (its been replaced now) and was causing the spark to ark but no signs of any leaks, coil pack and leads have been changed too with magnecor leads and a accel coil pack this was done about 6 months ago. cheers for the advise :eek:k:

just a quick faught its also got a flamer kit would and there is a switch installed to kill the coil pack how would i be able to tell if the switch is dodgy??

If a lambda is gone, cleaning it generally won't help you ot mate, they aren't like spark plugs where you can clean off the carbon and your good to go, the actual probe is inside the casing, so if it's got carbon build up, or saturated in fuel (it will if you've got a kill switch on the coil pack to send fuel straight through the engine and out the exhaust for your flamer). They aren't cheap though, so it's alot to spend if it's not that.

I have no clue how the flamer kits work, so I can only try and advise on what you've said, but if it's a switch that stops the spark, then that pure fuel going through the lambda will register as very rich conditions, so will make your lambda register a fault.

I would reccomend taking the battery off for 15mins to reset the ecu (make sure you have your radio code as you'll need to enter it when you put it back on), that will turn the mil light off. Don't use the flamer kit, & see if the problem persists. If it does, then try th following.

Start the engine, & 1 by 1, take the leads off the coil pack, & replace before you move on to the next. If you have a thick rubber glove, wear it, as a precaution, but I've done it without and been fine. As you take each lead off, you should hear the
engine note change. If not, then your coil is not functioning correctly. You can hold the lead real close to the coil pack tower it came from (i'm talking almost touching) & you should see the spark jump from the coil into the lead. That's how you can tell if the coil pack is working properly.

My money would be on the lambda though mate.

thanks for the advise i done the ecu reset and no faults have came back up yet and it does seem to run ALOT better :eek:k: im going to change the lambda saturday
only problem is there is a 4 digit number wrote on top of the unit which i thought was the code and its the wrong one, any idea where i could get the code??

:(

Glad to hear it's running better, it may be the flamer kit then, so you'll just have to reset the ecu every time it starts to run crappy. I'd leave it off a bit though, & just see if the fault comes back, so you know for sure.

Unfortunately I have no idea about radio codes, I know there is a code generator you can download, you just enter the model number and serial number, but I'm not sure if you needed to get the serial number while it's on!! I've seen unlock codes for sale on fleebay, but not sure how or if they work, but mght be worth a try for 99p!!

Don't bother lining someone else's pocket for a radio code: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ive downloaded the program but it wont seem to work on my computer, :( also attempted to download a few differnt ones off other sites but still no luck :(

Back