Lower Engine Mount / Gearbox Stabiliser - Knocking

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkie

I think I need to replace the bushes as the 4-2-1- manifold, fitted yesterday, sounds as though it's hitting the bulkhead over bumps...

I've noticed there are 2 sizes of bushes from Flo-Flex! 33mm or 35mm. Is there a way of finding out which size I need without taking the mount off? It's an X-Reg puma..

Trying to find a quick solution... I can find loads of 1.4i mounts, but not any of the 1.7i, is there a difference?

I would get a vibra technics one. I know it's more expensive but I've not had good experiences of flo flex bushes on a few occasions.

Thanks guys, so the only solution is Flo Flex Bushes or a very expensive Vibra Technics mount.

I think I will be going for the Flo Flex, but unsure if I will be able to sort it for a Track Day on the 21st. :-(

The complete new stabiliser link (the whole unit) used to be available from Ford at around £70. That's what I did in the end.

Two other options;

Buy a decent second hand one from IanG or modify the Flo Flex ones. Some people had some success with drilling regular holes in them to create a bit more give in them.

If you do go for the Flo Flex ones, One tip is to drill a tiny hole in one of the sides of the large bush to let the air out as you push it in place.

I've just ordered one for the 1.4 Puma and hoping it fits. I'll let evreyone know the differences when it arrives. I've emailed Flo-Flex about the bushes, but not had a response, so probably wont be trying those!

UPDATE

I am a complete idiot, but I will also say I had a garage look at it and they said it was probably the cat under the car hitting the floor. After some reading I thought it was the link, but after some investigation it turned out to be inner wing brake pipe fitting, the clips have gone missing. :oops:

I bought a new Febi / Bilstein 1.4 mount and decided not to fit it as the current one is fine. The 1.4 mount is about 2mm shorter in length as I was able to compare when I changed the clutch today. I just need a new gearbox now :roll:

2mm sounds like a tolerance difference to me or one is worn in a particular way, rather than actually Bing a different measurement.

Latest posts

Back