MGF freebie

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Arch Bishop said:
[post]354494[/post] Yep, looks like it to be honest. I haven't removed the old one to check yet, but it's to be expected as this age. At least t let go at home rather than out and about!
I know it doesn't help much, but that really is a lovely looking car. :)

Robyorks said:
[post]354505[/post] One trick for those mesh panels, lay them on newspaper and roll the paint with a small radiator roller/sponge sleeve.

Be done in no time ;)
They're just a bit too tiny for that sadly! Never mind, it's quite a zen-like activity! :grin:
Frank said:
[post]354509[/post]
The Arch Bishop said:
[post]354494[/post] Yep, looks like it to be honest. I haven't removed the old one to check yet, but it's to be expected as this age. At least t let go at home rather than out and about!
I know it doesn't help much, but that really is a lovely looking car. :)
And a bargain too for the right buyer... :wink:

Oh what a sod this radiator is being! I managed to remove the panel under the bonnet that the radiator is underneath which took a lot of persuasion only to find that the top and bottom hose clips have been installed with the release tabs on the underneath on both. The top one took around 45 mins to brute-force rotate so I could get a pair of pliers on it. The bottom one is tucked away in a box between the radiator and the body work, so you can't even see the tabs let alone squeeze them. This could be a long painful job (it's already drawn quite a lot of blood).

A fresh set of eyes (and less bloody gory hands) had the radiator out this morning;

27873388584_90edc2d25e_b.jpg

The old radiator was in a shocking state. I'm surprised that it lasted this long to be honest!

Back;

28411611171_ee42faa5ec_b.jpg

Front; :eek:

28206627210_d68d086ccd_b.jpg

So I removed the fans, cleaned them up and mounted them on the new radiator;

28411611341_356ef13931_b.jpg

Much better!

I then took a look at the cross-member which looked a little shabby;

28206627110_c9755752df_b.jpg

But after giving it a clean up and a wipe down, it was actually in very solid condition with only minimal surface rust. I gave it a coat of Hydrate 80 because it can't hurt!

27873388884_6c2ce92057_b.jpg

So I test fitted the new radiator which fitted perfectly.

27873388734_d8c465c424_b.jpg

Just need a few things now which are a set of stainless jubilee clips to replace the dreadful standard clamps and some pre-mixed coolant for the refill. It shouldn't need much as I clamped the coolant pipes to minimise the amount lost and to avoid having to purge the entire system of air (which is a bugger to do on these).

While doing this, it's given me a good opportunity to have a poke around underneath the car. The sub frame (which is a typical rot trap), is extremely solid but could do with wire-brushing and painting. The rest is astoundingly solid. It appears to have lead a charmed life!

Right that's that job done! Filled the clamped off radiator from the bleed valve at the top very slowly until I couldn't get any more in, then unclamped the hoses and filled it a little more. Started, left to run for a bit and then stopped once up to temperature. Released the bleed strew again. then rinse and repeat. Result was the radiator got hot uniformly and only needed a dribble in the expansion tank (so far - I'll be topping it up after the next few trips just to be on the safe side).

Triumphantly, I slammed the bonnet shut happy of a good job done. Then decided just to try the bonnet release.... It didn't work. The cable had slipped out of it's bracket meaning that the bonnet was shut for good. A quick look around various forums suggested there was a trick to get it open, but understandably, no one wanted to post it up for all to see! I decided to go back to it and have another go. Jacked the car up, stuck a work-light underneath and figured it out my self luckily. Release is sorted!

Time for a rest (and some beers in the sun)!

Been tootling along with a few little bits and pieces.

First, I found that the rear shelf was getting damp and a quick inspection revealed that there was a small split between the rear screen corner and the hood. The rest of the plastic screen was in decent nick, so I didn't want to replace it for something so minor. A few days later while rummaging in the fridge for beer, I came across some weird stuff that my wife had bought for repairing charging cables called Sugru. It's basically a mouldable coloured glue that is resistant to all sorts of stuff including water. So I thought what the hell and moulded some to the outside of the screen and then another blob on the inside ensuring that the two met in the middle. After a few hours it was dry but still flexible.

28799781511_b4da8d6ec7_b.jpg

I did a few other spots where there were tiny tears in the hood (they don't leak because they are minuscule, but better sealed up than not).

28258508974_2a54012d4f_b.jpg

It blends in very well and seems to have done the trick. I guess time will tell if it's a long-term fix!

Next, I had a go at the top front grill and gave it a paint with satin black. Looks much better now and just the larger bottom grill to do.

28799781651_9ea587de73_b.jpg

Finally, my lovely wife bought me some genuine MG floor mats to tart up the inside a bit. They cost a lot for two mats but are subtle, very thick and look the part with their embroidered badges;

28799781591_d7153a200f_b.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for Rob the welder to be free to quote me for a proper job on the sills before the next MOT. I'm not sure it'll pass with the hole by the front wheel. :-(

MOT tomorrow.... gulp.... hoping it squeaks through with it's rusty hole in the wheel arch. Just need it to stop raining so I can stick some gaffa tape over it.

And it has failed.....

But....

But....

Only on the exhaust flexy that has dismantled itself. I'd noticed it getting a bit fruity exhaust-wise over the last month (it sounds excellent by the way), but couldn't see anything when I crawled underneath to take a look. It has totally gone now though by the sounds of it (did I mention that it sounds excellent? Well it does).

So I've ordered a replacement from eBay which should be here mid-week. Shouldn't be too much of a pain to fit as It's only a year since I last took it off.

No other advisories at all and lots of complements from the testers. "That the first MGF that has gone through the emissions test first time here in ten years!" He did look genuinely shocked!

So fail but all good!

I'm surprised it passed the emissions with a hole in the exhaust as that usually throws it way off.

Anyway, nice one :eek:k:

The new cat and lambda probably helped with that. It's a car that really needs a loud exhaust though - the K-series is a pretty savage engine when it has no sound-deadening! I may have mentioned that it sounds excellent...

New exhaust downpipe arrived last night. At under £40 complete with fitting kit (gasket and bolts) and free 24 hr delivery, I was expecting the quality to be utter poo and fitting it to be a nightmare, but when it arrived, I was surprised by how well it was made.

I was working from home today, so rather than having an hour off for lunch, I scoffed some food while working and then set about getting the MGF off the ground and then swapping the pipe. Luckily, the exhaust system on an MGF is pretty easy to work on and the new downpipe was an exact fit, so I did it in 50 mins.

I've got the retest booked for tomorrow evening and that'll mean 12 months of fresh lovely MOT. Sadly, the engine noise has been neutered now. :-(

Yes, yes you did... Still no money for a back-box though and I'm not sure whether to keep it or sell it at this point. I've had my Summer of fun with it and I need to give the Puma some love now.

But yes, keeping it would involve a back-box swap in the near future! It's a nice sounding engine!

^^^^
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well MOT is got! Car drives lovely as always. It'll be hard to let it go to be honest!

Edit - must stop looking at SS exhausts - Dammit TGP!!!!

And so the MGF has been cosy in the garage all Winter, but Spring has definitely sprung so it was time to dig it out!

32821248794_0250c2fffd_c.jpg

I'd been doing a few tarting up jobs in the garage over the last week, namely spraying up the scabby wiper arms and finishing the acres of mesh grill with some paint.

33623077726_de330658a3_c.jpg

33280213770_256a0f0019_c.jpg

And after a quick wash down to get the dust off (excuse for countless gratuitous photos).

33280214310_3bc0a42b65_c.jpg

33280213990_e3296e92ec_c.jpg

33623078046_1deaefa095_c.jpg

33664326585_0980c903fc_c.jpg

33280213310_9c3637cab0_c.jpg

33280213570_54812cf723_c.jpg

Other than a stuck window that ended up as a 10 min fix, all seems well! Best get driving!

Looking fab Lee - don't talk to me about windows.... turns out full Rover history only extended to the mechanicals on the Tomcat. The window didn't work as the cable has snapped - the solution? Screw it shut!! :evil:

Latest posts

Back