MGF freebie

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks pretty sweet. Which of course means it will be tears and probable bankruptcy in the process! It's a changerover model too so it's got the newer bumpers, dash, lights etc, but no leather. I'd have to go for one with leather, but seeing as I can't even 'buy' a potentially free Tomcat don't listen to me!!!

Oooh! On the high side price wise, but Mica blue (check!) good history (check!) sunshades (check!) leather (check!) and even the storage bags which are like hens teeth (check, check, check!)

Don't do it, one rot box is enough and you've got two already! :grin:

Don't worry, I'm not going to. But the storage bags and the blinds were the big bonuses for that car! I can remember bidding furiously for the blinds on eBay last time. Absolutely have to have them with the black leather!

That MGF looks absolutely lovely and your post is an entertaining read. Well done for persevering!

Years ago I had the choice of either a green MGF - or a black Puma - as a hand-me-down company car. I went with the Puma as i'd always liked the look of them and it had more seats. On number 2 now. But i always had a soft spot for the MGF especially in British racing green.

Cheers Fanwheel!

You made the right choice in the Puma, but you had two good choices so you couldn't have gone wrong really!

As an update, I spent Saturday morning fitting a Blaupunkt Active sub behind the passenger seat. This is one that I had in one of my MR2s so it's been kicking around for ages. Hardly the height of ICE sophistication, but does the job of filling in the bass a little. Even with the decent JBLs in the doors, soft tops are not great acoustically so every little helps!

Well Saturday is shaping up to be a MGF polishing day. I have a PP member coming to lend his expertise (and tools, potions etc). See if you can guess who.

Clue - I absolutely will make him a cup of tea.

YOG said:
[post]352396[/post] Will it have an evil look when it's finished?
You're righhhhhht!
catchphrase-1995.gif

And a mixture of the weather and contagious children led to the polishing being postponed sadly. The MGF will just have to remain a bit swirly for longer - not the end of the world I suppose!

So with the polishing now not happening, I decided to do a bit of detail work.

One thing that was bugging me was the chipped and tatty petrol cap. The silver paint had worn through in quite a large patch showing the black undercoat. The weird thing is that they bothered to paint these at the factory as I discovered that the ring is actually cast aluminium! I guess they didn't want to get lots of warranty claims when the metal ring went dull.

So I stripped the cap down to its component pieces and set to it with a few grades of wet and dry. I ought to mention that I wasn't going for a chromed look, more a satin appearance. That and I only have limited patience....

Rubbed down:

27278504841_863396e7fb_b.jpg

Lacquered:

26741848784_6646f37304_b.jpg

Reassembled:

27251560742_1ef916a153_b.jpg

Back on the car:

27073898190_05bf1453d9_b.jpg

Very far from perfect, but it does look nice! You'll notice that one of the 'hex bolts is missing - the metal retaining clip holding it in has rusted away, so I'll need a trip out for Araldite.

Then I turned my attention to the side air ducts. On the driver's side, it houses the cooling fan and on the passenger side, it's the air intake. The mesh in them corrodes and turns all white and manky.

27073898060_710c13d0c5_b.jpg

I dug out a pot of Hamerite Satin black and set to it with a children's paint brush. A bit time consuming but therapeutic!

27251560502_62dd0689a4_b.jpg

27251560662_3e5c3650be_b.jpg

Waiting for them to dry so I can bung them back on the car!

Now, unfortunately there are two other mesh grills on the car - a small one just below the bonnet and and much larger one set into the bottom of the bonnet. Just debating when to start these as they may be a bit soul-destroying!

Good work! :)

If you want a glue that will last, I'd recommend Super Steel from Plastic Padding. Much better than any form of Araldite I've used.

A week ago, I'd planned to take the MGF up to Funky Gold Patina to get the sill repairs quoted. Sadly, due to the pool of coolant on the drive, this never happened. I now have a new radiator on order and the joy of trying to bleed the cooling system of a mid-engined car on the horizon.... Larks.

Yep, looks like it to be honest. I haven't removed the old one to check yet, but it's to be expected as this age. At least t let go at home rather than out and about!

One trick for those mesh panels, lay them on newspaper and roll the paint with a small radiator roller/sponge sleeve.

Be done in no time ;)

Latest posts

Back