MGF freebie

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job there! I remember once, a long time ago (but not in a galaxy far, far away) I had the opportunity to drive one MGF like this. The gearbox was a bit sloppy, but the engine was very nice. Glad you sorted it out!

The Arch Bishop said:
I can't make up my mind. I ditched the insurance as Swinton were taking the proverbial, so I can't drive it to a test. I'm not sure that I want to insure the car this late in he Summer as cancellation costs are a bit steep and I can't see myself driving it in the Winter. At the same time, I want to see it pass and I'm impatient!!
Can you get someone else to drive it to the MOT and back? You know when you go to buy/see a car you, obviously, don't own and test drive it and are covered for TPTT under your own insurance?

This would be a test drive to a MOT station and back.

Frank said:
Can you get someone else to drive it to the MOT and back? You know when you go to buy/see a car you, obviously, don't own and test drive it and are covered for TPTT under your own insurance?

Not a bad idea - my neighbour may be covered. Worth a think about!

Wild E. Coyote said:
Good job there! I remember once, a long time ago (but not in a galaxy far, far away) I had the opportunity to drive one MGF like this. The gearbox was a bit sloppy, but the engine was very nice. Glad you sorted it out!

I actually found the gearbox pretty slick. Not as good as the Puma (nothing is) but better than many. They can get a bit baggy I'm told. The engine should be a lot better now it's not running super-rich!

The Arch Bishop said:
Frank said:

I would check up to be sure. I think the car in question should also have valid insurance, and then is covered 3rd party liability only.
A few years ago I needed to MOT an old Mini and the insurance had expired. The friendly MOT tester offered to pick it up and bring it back for me. Don't know how, but he said he was covered to drive it.
Paul

748 said:
The Arch Bishop said:
Frank said:

I would check up to be sure. I think the car in question should also have valid insurance, and then is covered 3rd party liability only.
A few years ago I needed to MOT an old Mini and the insurance had expired. The friendly MOT tester offered to pick it up and bring it back for me. Don't know how, but he said he was covered to drive it.
Paul
Most motor trade policies cover any vehicle that the policy holder is working on. As you were a paying customer he was insured to drive your car. Either that or he was bullshitting you.

Thanks for the confirmation Tom.
He's a genuine bloke , I've been going there for quite a few years with my cars.
Paul

Actually, I've managed to sort a quote out that I'll probably go for. It's inexpensive so I may as well just insure it for the year and be done with it.

In the meantime, I investigated why the passenger door window went up so far that you couldn't get out of the car. Turns out that the window stopper is missing from the window so I've ordered up another. I also uncovered a failed bodge for the other half of the stopper where by someone had drilled another hole for the adjuster and tried to bend the metal to intercept the window runner. Rubbish job that hadn't worked so I put it back to where it should be and have ordered a replacement stopper. Why someone went through the bother of this bodge rather than ordering a £9 part I have no idea...

Anyway, while the door was off, I had to remove the standard speaker which is a rubbish thin card-cone effort;

IMG_8787_zpsznoh3qth.jpg

The size looked familiar so I had a look in the shed and found a very nice set of JBL speakers that we'd had in my wife's old car and rescued before it was sold on. Only problem was that it didn't fit in the plastic speaker holder that the MG has, so I broke out the Dremel and did a bit of modification to it;

IMG_8788_zpsgkx4ssu3.jpg

This meant the speaker sat nice and flush;

IMG_8790_zps44odn8al.jpg

Result!

IMG_8789_zpsy2gjuhum.jpg

Sounds good too! Just need to do the other side now.

The Arch Bishop said:
Tempting, but I'm probably going to go down the route of modifying the air feed to the standard airbox, as people have seen good gains from that (5-8 bhp for the sake of a few quids worth of ducting).
It's a panel filter for the standard airbox. Just let me know if it's of interest to you.

Graeme

Ok, maybe in a month or two if you still have it, once my bank balance has recovered!

I did end up getting it insured, so I need to book another MOT next week then hopefully, I can start using it while the 'Summer' is still 'here'!

Other speaker now also fitted and sounds great (I'm not into massive amps and the like)! Good freebie upgrade! Just need to find time (and space) to fit the little powered sub I have.

I've been fixing a few other odd faults mainly to do with the rear lights. WHile they all worked, the tail-lamps would dim when the indicators were flashing or when the brake lights were lit. Once I'd removed the rear connectors, it was obvious that the ground connector on both sides was bent. Some bending and fiddling and the lights now work as they should!

Just as well really as I've booked for another go at the MOT tomorrow afternoon. Ulp!

Awesome Lee. Now crack on and enjoy free (ish) motoring!!

Just been out with my daughter who loved it, especially with the top down! Worth the effort! :grin:

Whizzing along with some tunes on the stereo (cheers again XAF) and the happy sounding K-Series burbling behind us = Good times indeed!

Back