Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the colour........ Set of mudflaps would also enhance the look too.

There is a chap on Ebay selling mtx75 g/box conversions on Ebay for a grand replacing Fiesta ST ib5 boxes. Might be worth looking into. Hope this helps.

I had a mk4fiesta (same as Puma) and ended up getting an Quaife straight cut gearset for my ib5 as mine was putting out 220bhp. This is also an option.

Cheers

Ally

pumabnoob fitting the clutch and flywheel for the mtx box is going to be tricky, been looking at it and it isnt easy, may need new flywheel, will certainly need new gear linkage and looks like a lot of fiddling...not impossible but may mean a few trips to the engineers shop...

i have not heard great stories about the quaife set, its supposed to be good to just about 300 bhp. I am still deciding what to do for my two engines, the 300 bhp f3 engine could sure use the mtx 75 rs2000 box if i can sort the clutch and gear linkage reliably,and the turbo engine at 300 plus bhp will be about the same on the mtx 75 diesel box so maybe this is the way to go...

front wheel drive cars with big power must benefit from a torque limiter to stop wheel spin but electronic devices are used today. the quaife lsd heads in that direction a bit but some form of torgue limiter between engine and box would be interesting or were you considering a spark arrestor system.... what did you have in mind steve...

im talking about the standard torque limiter and the fact its there to stop the car eating the box, noob used to say it didnt as hed had his on there for x amount of time, now his has eaten itself maybe hes inclined to agree its best to leave it on there lol, or maybe not

indeed but bear in mind most people who want to do this mod drive there car day in day so will be looking for long term reliability

ScubaSteve said:
im talking about the standard torque limiter and the fact its there to stop the car eating the box, noob used to say it didnt as hed had his on there for x amount of time, now his has eaten itself maybe hes inclined to agree its best to leave it on there lol, or maybe not
Nah, still not agreeing with you, the people talking about removing the torque limiter are doing so with a standard engine, or FRP spec. My car runs 349bhp and 400nm of torque, and still lasted some hard launches at pod and shakespear raceway. I knew my box would go, as I'd already ordered the parts to swap it out to MTX75, I've been speaking to moondustKa for quite some time now, and being a heavier car then his with bigger wheels, it's inevetable! I was also told by Jamie at Jamsport that the gearbox wouldn't last, but I like to get results for myself. The nail in the coffin for mine was 400nm of torque with launch control!!! I'd still maintain that an Frp spec engine would not eat through boxes with the torque limiter removed, my 230bhp puma still has the box with engine and running fine!!

Paul, for you it might be more difficult to swap the MTX75 box, but I have a different engine, there are quite a few options for me, in 5 & 6 speed FWD, RWD, & AWD options that bolt straight on, no messing with flywheel or starter, although I can put bigger fly if I wish. Only issues I will have is custom driveshafts, & speedo signal. I have already converted to cable shift so most of the work is done.

ally frp said:
Love the colour........ Set of mudflaps would also enhance the look too.

There is a chap on Ebay selling mtx75 g/box conversions on Ebay for a grand replacing Fiesta ST ib5 boxes. Might be worth looking into. Hope this helps.

I had a mk4fiesta (same as Puma) and ended up getting an Quaife straight cut gearset for my ib5 as mine was putting out 220bhp. This is also an option.

Cheers

Ally

Those conversions won't be any good for us, the driveshaft length is wrong for the puma, and there is no speedo pick up, so all we could use is the actual box! And 1000 is quite expensive for just a mondeo gearbox. He also sells 6 speed conversation for the fiesta st, but its just a mazda gearbox, the hard work he's done sourcing bits to fit the st, will be no use to puma owners as everything is different.

oh yes I keep forgetting your running the duratec engine...yes I have a fair bit of work to fit the boxes to my engines so think I will go quaife internals first..

I've not heard good things about Quaife gear sets on big power cars, they are good for race or rally on standardise power, but seem just as unreliable as OE boxes except the straight cut ones. It's not what I've tested so can't say for sure, but I've spoken to quite a few people lately about where to turn next, and that was the general consensus, and I just can't afford a straight cut box!

MoondustKa, let me know what you come up with for driveshafts, I think the cheapest option for you would be Focus 2.0 mk1 cv joints, and shortened focus MK1 focus 2.0 or 1.8 Diesel shafts. What centre shaft are you using at the moment, a puma one, or a focus one? And how are you getting a speedo signal to work?

spoke with Chris at lightning motorosport and he says its a ball ache to convert the MTX box to a puma...but I can't see the point of anything else and after all the dish I have spent getting these engines to work I am not going to hav the box failing on me as I will be real unhappy...so I have to resolve the starter flywheel and clutch problems on both cars...

Some might say, and in fact have said the same about doing a turbo conversion on the 1.7, or fitting a 2.0 zetec or duratec to a puma, but theyve all been done. Ive managed to not only fit the 2.0 engine, ive fitted it with all ancilleries and aircon, and put a fairly big turbo on it too, i think fitting the gearbox wont be as hard as that!! Jamie at Jamsport told me that it was quite simple upgrading to the MTX box, although this was on a fiesta with a duratec. What did he say was difficult about it, is it the fitting, or is it the flywheel and starter options? or perhaps clutch? For flywheel, id jhust go with a zetec 2.0 solid wheel off the zetec blacktop. The starter bolts to the gearbox not the engine, so might just bolt straight on. For clutch there are loads of options. The problem is that its relatively unexplored on a 1.7, surely someone must have put an MTX75 on a 1.7 before?

It was the straight cut gearset I had on my mk4 fiesta which now resides in my FRP....

Cheers

Ally

There's quite a few FRS engines and zetec turbos running around, and over 500hp with the FRS box.. I think that speaks for itself. Especially when you can pick one up for £350-500.. Flywheel & clutch is no drama.. shafts might be a little headache. And linkage and mounting is no real biggie after you've done an engine conversion.

Also, to eliminate wheel spin you just need road legal slicks. You still get a tiny amount from 1st, but grips and goes after that. Best solution IMO and the route I'm taking.

For you with the FRS engine, it seems like a no brainer!! I'm still weighing it up in my head, don't know weather to go for a 6 speed Mazda MPS gearbox, straight bolt on to the engine with LSD already fitted, but needs custom mount, new linkage, new clutch pipework, and new speedo pick up, or use a mondeo MTX75, and put focus RS internals in it. Decisions decisions!! Or I could just build a custom gearbox.

MTX75 box bolt straight to your engine then? Has to be from a mondeo for the bolt pattern?

Yeah, but not your version of the MTX 75, mine is from the newer focus and mondeo with a mazda bell housing, yours is the conventional ford pattern. You can get an RS box and bolt it straight on, I'll have to take the internals out and put them in a mondeo or focus casing!

Does anyone know if the focus RS internals are stronger then a standard MTX 75 box from 2.0 focus or mondeo??? Another option would be the ST220 internals, very strong box and 6 speed. Not sure on bell housing though!

I'm really not sure about bolt pattern, but it wouldn't be a straight bolt on either way, I'm sure the starter is on the top. But it's an mtx75, so either your bell housing or mine would bolt straight to it.

What flywheel are you going to use, the standard RS is a DMF isn't it?

Lol, don't thread hijack!! This isn't my thread! But nah, my gearbox isn't fixed yet, I don't have the time to fix mine yet! You'll do well to get low 16s,there was a lad there with a 1.7 in a fiesta struggling to get lower then 17s

Latest posts

Back