My mk3 mondeo/ST170 brake fitting guide

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never realy lookout for puma's now but you always notice a cosworth. Will look out for you now.

There isnt many cossies on the road and not many people use them as dailys.

this is a good thread up til it went off subject lol.
anyways i had an idea. you have to drill the hubs for mondeo bolts so why not file the hole one way instead of drilling so the calliper is about 1mm further inwards. then skim a disc on a lathe to reduce it to 298mm. that way you have created an extra 1mm clearance before grinding. im an engineer so it is easy for me to do this. i have a set of mondeo calipers here so i may aswel give it a try. ideally i could mount two calipers on a lathe and turn them down rather than grind them. ill have a look monday at work.

Sounds like to much of a chew on imo.

I took way to much of the calipers compared to some people.

does anyone knows if the caliper from a ST170 fits on a Racing puma?

Potentially but the ST170 bolt size is M12 from memory and I think the Alcon is probably M10 so you'd be drilling the hub.

I'm not sure what about this people are worried about.
Grinding on the calipers where he did isn't going to hurt anything, there's plenty of metal there.
Grinding on the brackets where he did isn't going to hurt anything, those aren't a high strength component anyway.
The small gap at the wheel isn't a concern, lots of cars run tight clearances there.

Good on you for the initiative! Big brake "Kits" are insanely overpriced.

This is a thread resurrection asking if they would fit to an FRP, I'd assume the clearance would be much better than the clearance of the standard Puma 15" wheels people have fitted them to previously and probably wouldn't need grinding? Why do you say it's a small gap on the FRP 17's?

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
Hi.
I have done this, yes hole has to be drilled out to 12 mm.

Regards,
Richard

Richard, you haven't done it on a Racing Puma, so your experience isn't quite what he's asking about. Do you know if the Alcon still used M10?

Hi.
Yes your right there. But with the ST170 Bakes the increased stopping power is great. That poses a question....I wonder how the stopping power with standard FRP brakes would compare with a ST170 conversion with the same size rear discs? Food for thought.
Regards,
Richard.

I'm sure day to day the difference wouldn't be too noticeable.

In theory the braking capacity of the 4 pot Alcons should easily out perform the 1 pot ST170s under harder usage, hence why any 4 pot setup is much more expensive outright and then to maintain.

Back