New Member New Puma New Track Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzman

Hi everyone!
Signed up on here after seeing the wealth of knowledge of Pumas, had many in the past, but this is the first track one i have attempted, having run a Mk2 Golf GTI as a track car in the past! So any information or support would be great!
Sourced a 75000 mile 1.7 black model for £350 in very clean condition with minimal rust, always found pre 2000 year Pumas to be better bodywise for some reason. Required rear bushes and exhaust for MOT which i have replaced with Polybushes and a Hoffman straight through pipe and rear box, both an easy fit!
Looking to get out to Oulton Park mid Feb so have got my work cut out, including fitting ST150 brakes, braided lines, tyres, seats and harnesses for starters plus an engine service.
Will post some pics soon
Cheers

Welcome to the friendliest car forum on earth! - loads of people offering sound advice here.

Hi
Thanks for the welcome!
Well after a productive weekend, getting the bushes and exhaust sorted ready to present for MOT this week, i find the SRS light nicely lit and not going out! Checked the usual connections under the seats as i had the hoover out but no difference, battery disconnected over night, again no good, so now wondering where to go from here. Would a diagnostic connected be the next step?

Codes from a reader will relate to the ECU not the airbag module. Have the seats ever been swapped as far as you know? Just that it could be that the airbag module being upset by the wrong pretensioners, so will involve swapping them over to the originals. Might be worth simply checking the fuses and perhaps no crud has got in the yellow connectors?

No was fine when i bought it, only cleaned and hoovered it! Disconnected and reconnected both plugs under seat. Jacked the rear up to sort bushes and exhaust, sureley that shouldnt upset it?

Well it appears to be the airbag control module, really frustrating as it is booked in for MOT on Wednesday! Problem is the module is not under the centre console! Does this mean it is behind the dash? If so where the heck is it?
Cheers for any info

The wiring quite different for analogue dash loom, early digital and late digital dash models, the airbag control module lives behind the dash on the passenger side in the early cars.

When I bought my Puma (June 2015) the airbag/pretensioner light was flashing (4 x then pause). Had it on a local (vg) garage and on fords diag to no avail.

Because this is now an MOT failure I took to a local recommended auto electrician - who has put resistors on the seat belt pretensioner wires which fools the ecu into thinking the voltage is correct. This still allows the airbag to work though.

Diagnostic has confirmed it is the control module, either it is faulty or no power getting to it, however i cannot locate it under the passenger side of the dash to check power connections. Nothing ever straightford! lol!

Sadley not, it is a v plated 1999 model, so has the earlier location behind the dash somewhere!

Hi I'm new here and have a ford puma. Just bought the hofman exhaust race pipe. I now need a back box will a universal fit straight on or will I need a backbox with the exta pipe in order tonfit it?? Please help asap thanks.
gary

Hi Gary i have got the Hoffman rear back box attached to the race pipe as it came as a deal, fit well and is not loud.

Thanks for the enquiry
Got it sorted for Oulten Park, great day bar the rain! Ran superbly!
Will set up a tread on Project cars and post some info and photos

Please do set up a Project thread, my one is new to me, and somethings adrift, it handles well but makes some terrible mount or bush knocking sounds . (I've driven BMWs for the last few years so know what it feels like to drive cars with knackered bushes)
I'd be keen to someone how someone has resolved bush problems.

Back