New Owner from Norfolk

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanJames

I recently bought a friends Millenium so thought i'd come and join this site for advice and to meet new people, I used to have a 205 GTI which is as close to this car as I've ever been previously had Citroen C5 so a little different coming from that though!

Hi all anyway i'm sure i'll be calling for advice before long :D

Hello and welcome!

Now... where are the photos of that millennium... ;)

JAC said:
Hello and welcome!

Now... where are the photos of that millennium... ;)

All in good time, waiting for some actual sun to appear, so expect something in maybe a month or 3 lol.

red said:
:cool: Welcome to the site.

Thanks, been ages since i've been part of a car community (or at least one that wasn't men in their 50's), looking forward to seeing where the Puma journey takes me....as long as it's not to the garage.

I was going to say welcome along, especially as you have a "millie" but then saw your comment about "men in their fifties"

As a 58 year old am now deeply offended and will probably sulk all through my tea time now :evil:

Oh ok....welcome anyway :grin:

Welcome aboard from another Puma fan from the land of Turkey.

Wifes got a Grey Thunder with only 34K on the clock which is currently resting up for winter away from all that ice and snow we're not getting. In the mean time our "runaround" is a red 02 plate 1.7, so if you're ever near Fakenham and see the reg AX02 on a red'un that's me...or the wife.

She had a steel blue 51 reg 1.7 a few years ago before trading it in for a Fiesta ST but it was a terrible car - quick but rotten build quality - so it went fairly sharpish to get the Thunder. I've also had a Millie for a short time as I tidied it up and sold it on, and I'm currently breaking up a black 1997 1.7.

The only Millies I can remember seeing around my way in recent times were in Horningtoft and Lenwade and had been at those addressed for some time.

My old Millie

red

Thunder, before private plate

As a 35 year old I was worried I'd be at the older end of most Puma enthusiasts, thankfully i'm wrong then, great to be in older company :D

Not the best of shots of her and needs a bit of tar cleaner (hence the black bits) and a good polish, a little rust around the rear arches but otherwise good for 100k. Needs a service soon, seat height adjustment doesn't work and front tyres are fine but crap, other than that it's all good for now. Paintwork is not bad, was resprayed 3 years ago at a cost of £1000 but has peeling laquer on many areas so guessing the job wasn't that great.

Paid £600 which was a little over what it's probably worth but interior is mint and it's had a mate own it for the last 7 years (sold due to having a baby) so didn't mind paying that. It was bought as an emergency purchase as it was the last day my ex would let me borrow her car to go see it, enjoying it plenty so far lovely car to drive.

No offence on the age thing, I'm used to this sort of scene being people in their 20's from past experience, i'm sure my comment was rightly taken in jest :lol:

When it comes to the age of Puma drivers I seem to spot that most I see being driven are not being used by youngsters, maybe a bit expensive to insure or possibly the undeserved hairdresser car image. Also the cars do have a reputation for rust and are getting on a bit now, my 2 boys are 18 and 21 and both drive mk4 astras sxi 1.6 3 dr/ 2.0 coupe turbo, and neither have ever wanted to own a Puma despite being around them and in as passengers since 2008 with mine and wifes cars.

If you are going to tidy the car up I'd recommend getting mudflaps fitted as they';; stop a lot of the tarspot trouble. I found millie yellow a strange colour to polish as one minute it looked great and then in another light it looked as if I hadn't bothered, but I still like them and only sold mine to buy an old land rover , but soon missed it, hence the purchase of "red".

Also, if you do need any tyres in the near future I can get Michelin Pilot Sport 3's for £100 a set of 4. A friend of mine knows someone who uses these in a race series where the tyres are only used for one race and have to be changed. I got a set for the wifes Thunder and they are just brilliant. The tread comes a bit scuffed from the track use but it soon wears away and they are almost like new. Sorry, to anyone not near me but I cannot post these things.

never liked the red pumas but now they are really growing on me....yours looks great redsxr...I noticed your wife has the Thunder and you get cheap tyres, how much would tyres normally cost for a thunder? and is it cheaper for your red puma tyres as they have smaller wheels ?

Regards,

Brian.

The pics make the red car look better than it is as it has a few marks and scratches along with the usual rusty back arches which I've just given a quick rub down and covered them with red smoothrite.

As for tyre size, all Pumas except the Racing have 15 inch rims regardless of style and take 195/50/15 tyres. As for new prices Black Circles . com are quoting £44.80 for a Michelin Pilot Sport 3 posted,

Having looked at the pics I posted above I can see why you thought the Thunder has bigger rims as they're very similar to the Racing rims.

that's good as I now own a thunder and the 16" tyres start at 80 bucks a corner which is expensive.

redexr said:
[post]345420[/post] When it comes to the age of Puma drivers I seem to spot that most I see being driven are not being used by youngsters, maybe a bit expensive to insure or possibly the undeserved hairdresser car image. Also the cars do have a reputation for rust and are getting on a bit now, my 2 boys are 18 and 21 and both drive mk4 astras sxi 1.6 3 dr/ 2.0 coupe turbo, and neither have ever wanted to own a Puma despite being around them and in as passengers since 2008 with mine and wifes cars.

If you are going to tidy the car up I'd recommend getting mudflaps fitted as they';; stop a lot of the tarspot trouble. I found millie yellow a strange colour to polish as one minute it looked great and then in another light it looked as if I hadn't bothered, but I still like them and only sold mine to buy an old land rover , but soon missed it, hence the purchase of "red".

Also, if you do need any tyres in the near future I can get Michelin Pilot Sport 3's for £100 a set of 4. A friend of mine knows someone who uses these in a race series where the tyres are only used for one race and have to be changed. I got a set for the wifes Thunder and they are just brilliant. The tread comes a bit scuffed from the track use but it soon wears away and they are almost like new. Sorry, to anyone not near me but I cannot post these things.

Thanks for that I'll bear that in mind. As for the mudflaps they're certainly on my to do list as it bugs me having those lines up the sides not long after cleaning, any suggestions of what to go for in that respect?

Unless you want to give the car a "rally" look I'd go for genuine ford mudflaps. Your only problem there is that the fronts are not available from Ford so you may have to find s/hand ones. New rears are still in stock with Ford.

For tarspots I always use Autoglm tar spot remover

pyperb said:
[post]345428[/post] ...I noticed your wife has the Thunder and you get cheap tyres, how much would tyres normally cost for a thunder? and is it cheaper for your red puma tyres as they have smaller wheels ?

Regards,

Brian.
Got mine for the Thunder from Costco last November:
4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - Fitted, Valves and Balance for £179.95

jesus...what a sweet deal, I will be in no hurry for tyres as the car has 1 year MOT and means tyres are legal but will keep an eye for a good deal coming along, you must have been rubbing your hands when you saw that deal :)

Back