New owner questions...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wez

Hi folks,

I've had a search on here and found the answers to a few of my questions, but theres a few things i hope you knowledgeable puma owners could help me with:

1. I only have one key for my puma, its just a normal black key with the red transponder square on it, no red key or remote key. Is it possible to buy a new Remote key and program it using only the key i have?

2. Tickover seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes its fine, most of the time it will stick at about 1500rpm once i've came to a stop at junctions etc BUT once I dip the clutch then relese it the revs will instantly drop to where they should do. I can pull away and drive fine, then the next time I stop I have to do the same again... any ideas? I'm thinking Idle control valve or vehicle speed sensor (if the puma has one)?

Many thanks in advance

Welcome along.

Regarding keys, there's a comprehensive post in the "How to guides"

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=25218#p25218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got one key, can I use this to program a second key?

The short answer is no. You need to get a second key cut and the transponder in it programmed to the car. Only Ford, or another garage with the right equipment will be able to do this. There are services on ebay that say they can program a key for you, treat these with the caution they deserve, remember, you are sending your key and your address to a complete stranger.

As you mention, the erratic idling is probably the idle control valve.

[albumimg]119[/albumimg]

Would also be worth pulling the MAF out and giving it a good clean, good opportunity to change the air filter at the same time if you want to. :)

PS: Welcome

thanks for the bad news on the key... lol :(

Yip, will try a MAF clean, ISCV clean and maybe chuck in a decent panel filter and do a battery disconnect/ECU reset....
just found a post on here saying it could also be faulty wiring to the power steering pressur sensor, so will try find that in the engine bay and check that too.

thanks a lot, great site!

now to get the grinder out and tart the rust up a little bit for the winter.

just thinking about the key issue...
could i not just get a key with the remote buttons on and put my transponder in that out of my existing key?
or would that not work??

sorry, just i'm used to old skool fords, i think this is the newest blue oval i've ever owned (and i've had 60+) lol

cheers

When I bought my Portuguese registered Puma last year it only had one key. I went to my local supermarket key cutter and he provided me with another key. I did not realise that the original key had a chip and was therefore surprised that the second key cost me 50 euros. The second key worked perfectly and I turned my attention to a remote central locking key. Having done my research I could not find any sign of a transmitter in the cabin and eventually I checked the VIN number at my local Ford dealer to find that the car had not been supplied with remote central locking - only central locking on the key.

I have looked at some of the remote central locking kits advertised on ebay but the suppliers have failed to respond to any questions so I have simply settled for turning the key.

For the key issue you could try Timpsons. They should be able to tell you wether they can read your existing transponder and if it's possible for them to reprogram a new one. You'd still have to source a fob and blank blade yourself but they're available on ebay.

Just ring a local auto locksmiths, they charge (or did when I rang one) around £45 to £50 to program as many keys you have and cut them. Much cheaper than Ford when I did my research. Caution needed here too, he said he was mobile and would come to me...errrm, no, your ok mate, I'll come to you....can't be too safe in my opinion. ;)

Hi,

Well I cleaned MAF and inlet butterfly, but still not idling well, power steering pressure sensor wiring seems fine so idle control valve coming off tonight :D

Will look into best options for remote central locking.

one other thing, the metal gearknob is bloody cold on a morning! Lmao!

wez said:
one other thing, the metal gearknob is bloody cold on a morning! Lmao!

Haha!!
We all know about that one, Puma owners accross the land can be heard cursing their knobs on Winter mornings! :wink:

aww, fluffy bobble hat on top of everyones knob would be cool, group picture? lmao

well cleaned idle control valve with half a big tin of carb cleaner and some cotton buds, got plenty gunk out....
but still idles all over :(

on thing i dont understand is with the clutch pedal:
in neutral, without foot on clutch, handbrake on, the car will idle at a smooth 1500rpm, if i then press the clutch and release it again, the revs will drop to 800-900 rpm (all be it a very erratic 800-900rpm)
then once i pull away and drive, the next time i come to a stop, it will run at 1500rpm and i will have to press/release the clutch again to drop the revs!?

what senders/sensors do these cars have that would cause that?
i dunno if they have a vehicle speed sensor as i have a speedo cable, not electronically driven..
any ideas?

check the clutch switch above the clutch pedal,also powersteering pressure switch,members have found issues with this there the wire has corroded and snapped..

as above, i've checked the wiring to the pas pressure switch and seems fine

didnt know there was a clutch switch!? what is that in aid of? lol, crazy electronics...
will check tomorrow morning (too dark now)

Hi, sorry to bump this, but still having problems with funny idle.

I have cleaned inside the ISCV twice with carb cleaner (full big can), wiring on power steering pressure switch looks fine, no corrosion, the plug is on the clutch pedal switch, and seems to be fine (although have not checked switch with multimeter)

but i'm still getting the erratic idle issue below:

wez said:
in neutral, without foot on clutch, handbrake on, the car will idle at a smooth 1500rpm, if i then press the clutch and release it again, the revs will drop to 800-900 rpm (all be it a very erratic 800-900rpm)
then once i pull away and drive, the next time i come to a stop, it will run at 1500rpm and i will have to press/release the clutch again to drop the revs!?

what senders/sensors do these cars have that would cause that?
i dunno if they have a vehicle speed sensor as i have a speedo cable, not electronically driven..
any ideas?

only issue now is when i press release the clutch and the revs drop to an erratic 800rpm, sometimes its so all over the place it will stall, but starts fine again (bit then idles at 1500rpm till i press/release the clutch again)

many thanks for your help.

Could the Mass Air Flow sensor cause any of them? Have you tried to unplug it and see what happens?

have you tried to replace your ICV? Ive been having the same problems with the FRP, but ive cleaned my icv twice and that has worked... you ICV may just be fooked... :(

Back