Noisy on full lock

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan funk

After moving drive shaft slightly out of the box (not removing gaiter) to do some suspension work it seems to be noisy on full lock.

I understand this might be the inner CV joint making the noise.

Does anyone have any idea on how to trouble shoot / fix this?

cheers

Clicking/knocking on full lock would usually mean a cream crackered outer joint, the inner joint is to allow for the up and down movement of the suspension, the outer joint does the steering movement.
When you pulled the shaft, did you pull it out of the gearbox, or pull the joint apart?
Replacing either joint is easy enough, just a bit messy. Would think they are pretty cheap too.
Try twisting the driveshaft across the joint in opposite directions, (as though your wringing a cloth out) use a back and forth action to see if there is any play in the joint, there should be next to nothing.
HTH

when you pulled the shaft out did you lever it out near where it goes in or did you yank at it from the end? if you pulled on it then youve probably pulled the cv joint apart

karlosss said:
Clicking/knocking on full lock would usually mean a cream crackered outer joint, the inner joint is to allow for the up and down movement of the suspension, the outer joint does the steering movement.
When you pulled the shaft, did you pull it out of the gearbox, or pull the joint apart?
Replacing either joint is easy enough, just a bit messy. Would think they are pretty cheap too.
Try twisting the driveshaft across the joint in opposite directions, (as though your wringing a cloth out) use a back and forth action to see if there is any play in the joint, there should be next to nothing.
HTH

Cheap sounds good :grin:

Have twisted the shaft and cant feel much play

ScubaSteve said:
when you pulled the shaft out did you lever it out near where it goes in or did you yank at it from the end? if you pulled on it then youve probably pulled the cv joint apart

Undid the ball joint and then tugged on the hub to create room to work. So the drive shaft would have been tugged out of the gear box, you could see the gear box side shaft gaiter stretch a little, and when putting the ball joint back together we had to turn the drive shaft to align the splines before it would push back in.

i suspect you have damaged the joint doing that

shouldnt pull it out like that really lol

Doh

Shall have a look around the how to sections - when do you think it will fail and in what way?

Morgan funk said:
you could see the gear box side shaft gaiter stretch a little, and when putting the ball joint back together we had to turn the drive shaft to align the splines before it would push back in.

You've tugged the joint itself apart there mate. If it had pulled out of the box you would have a puddle of gear oil and the gaiter wouldn't need to stretch. The joints need more than a yank to get them out the gearbox!! Usually a pry bar and/or a hammer and chisel.

Not 100% on the make up of those joints, older fords had a tri-lobed cam type arrangement with a bearing at each point, seem to remember they didn't mind being pulled apart as the bearings were permanently attached.

Have you had a good look round the wheel end, ball joint ,track rod end etc? The fact that it's noisy on lock and you can't feel play in the driveshaft suggests it may be something else, have you lowered it? Not as simple as a tyre catching somewhere??

the inner joints are as you describe a tripod spider bearing, but as the clicking is on full lock it will be damage to the outer joint which is made up of roller bearings which can fall out!

id have the shaft back off and inspect the outer joint it could be just damaged or dislodged retaining circlip or something

I think this sounds the most likely: 'You've tugged the joint itself apart there mate. If it had pulled out of the box you would have a puddle of gear oil and the gaiter wouldn't need to stretch. The joints need more than a yank to get them out the gearbox!! Usually a pry bar and/or a hammer and chisel'

The car is not lowered at all.

you an ScubaSteve may still be right though regarding it being at the wheel end of the shaft as the joint may have gone back together again right when sliding it back in at the box end but unknown to me may have moved at the outer joint and not seated correctly or something. it is definitely like a whiring geary rattely type of universal joint noise rather than any thing else.

I guess a good test would be to jack up the front, put in neutral, turn full lock and spin a wheel - that might allow me to pin point it.

Cheers

Morgan funk said:
I guess a good test would be to jack up the front, put in neutral, turn full lock and spin a wheel - that might allow me to pin point it.

Cheers

Definitely yes, try also clamping a pair of mole grips onto the shaft and rocking the wheel back and forth (while it's up in the air) while holding the grips, or wedge them somewhere, this might show up any play a bit more readily. I don't *think* you can get any of the ball bearings out of the outer joint as scubasteve suggested, with the shaft still in the joint (tho' I stand to be corrected) but it's highly likely you've disturbed something in there, a circlip or some such as he suggests, especially if it's got some miles on it's back. You could also peel the rubber back and have a look, it might just become all too obvious. :wink:

Cheers for your advice guys, shall let you know how i get on when I get a chance to get down and dirty.

Back