Oil leak....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart1275

Hi I am a new owner of a 1.7 puma and wondered if they have any 'usual' oil leaks the bottom of my engine bay is very oily. If I had to guess I would think its coming from the cambelt so I presume its gonna be an oil seal. However it could be coming from anywhere and I have a cv boot split so it may even be that although I presume that is a grease and not thin.
Thanks fellow Puma lovers.

I did this to mine, same problem: oily bottom (!).

Could see the leak from rocker cover at top of engine so took a punt on pattern part.

DON'T BUY FAI part!!! The job took 4x longer than it needed to be because their pattern gasket is very slightly too short which means you set it up for a good seat one end and it pops out of the other! Grr!

Can't speak for other aftermarket and if you want to be sure it'll have to be Ford parts desk (if you can ever get them to answer the bloody phone).

grogee said:
DON'T BUY FAI part!!!

Yes, did mine lately and it was so small that even after sealing it in the rim it popped out and leaked.When I tightened it down the gasket folded and split.

Took a gamble on the AJUSA:
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ajusa/2090585
(£20 vs £70 from Ford! No problems so far after 6 months, much better fit too!

Do they pop the crank gasket at all typically?
I have a leak but it seems to be behind the timing cover as I think I can see misting flying up towards the camshaft pulleys.

Sounds like a leaking cam seals, vct pulley or crank seal then. Check out the threads via the search. I zero experience with that.

Back