oil to turbo?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberdarepuma

Ok I get oil return top of sum? Where's best place for the oil feed to turbo on 1.7 engine? Was thinking about geting an oil cooler but can't see that benifiting my low compression (6/7 psi) engine really any ideas? Thanks

An oil cooler will benifit any modification that will cause the engine to heat up oil hotter then a standard engine will, or for any engine that will be used at high load for long durations. A turbo increases engine heat dramatically so it's worth getting one, preferably with a thermostat so it doesn't run the oil too cool.

A sandwich plate between the block and oil filter might be the best option, you don't need to run an oil cooler for that. Or the cheaper alternative is a tee on the oil pressure switch. The only downside with this method is it will pump the oil before the filter, so as debris builds up in the sump, it could potentially send this to your turbo and wear bearings quicker. I ran that set up for a few years and didn't have any issues though. But from a sandwich plate post filter feed is probably best.

Well I was swaying towards oil cool anyway bud :), and I think thas pushed me over the edge so think that's the way to go, sorry if I'm being dull, how would that be "plumbed" in then

Lol it's not being dull matey!! A standard oil cooler sandwich plate has 2 ports on, one into the cooler, and one returning to the cooler. The one I have has 4. It has 2 larger ports for inlet and outlet of the cooler (usually about 10-12mm ID or AN12 fittings), and then 2 smaller ports that will be a 1/8npt x 27 thread which is the standard size for oil pressure gauges and oil feed hoses. Those are the type you want. There are a few different oil filter threads too so make sure you get a universal one or one for a ford model, most if not all modern fords are the same.

Mine is like this item on the bay : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-Sandwich-Plate-for-Cooler-Gauges-Sensors-/360639815106?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f7ceddc2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back