osf wheel/suspension/driveshaft

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

Okay - this is a tricky one to pin down... or has been thus far, many things can bring about the 'symptoms'.

Have yet to put it up on axle stands and have a poke about, as it maybe something that is not readily visible.

Been experiencing a metal on metal sound, from the front axle area - further narrowed down to OSF wheel well area.. sometimes its a knocking, sometimes sounds a bit like an old timber 'tall ship' creaking under wind, but definitely still metal involved.

- Mainly seem to notice it at slow, urban - pottering about town - speeds, whether the road is bumpy or smooth makes no difference.

- Once on open road and up to speed it doesn't seem to happen. No noise.

- Cornering, roundabouts - even at speed - don't bring it about. In fact the handling doesn't seem altered at all in anyway.

- It sometimes happens when rapidly accelerating, or under heavy braking... but not all the time, or even often.

- When (due to work) I have had to perform a rapid 3 point turn in a side road, makes the noise then (very noticeably) when moving hard on lock, both fwd & reverse, a metallic creaking.

First thought was CV joint....but mechanic friend said I would be unlikely to see the wear if I went under and looked 'inside' the gaiter/boot covering the joint. He said I should pull away on full lock and if it made the noise, then it was CV joint. The noise he described is the one I have had in the 3-point turns (mentioned above)- or very similar - but it didn't make it on the few test runs I did just pulling out/away on full lock. Mech' friend said unlikely to be CV joint then but could be the inner ball joint at other end of the half-shaft.. or wheel bearing..?

I had considered the wheel bearing but I have not had that droning/loud humming that usually accompanies a wearing bearing.

Am going to put it on stands over next day or so and half a bit of a dig around in the area of the wheel/axle..... any further ideas, or points.... obscure (semi-arcane tests even) that should be done to eliminate other causes.

Anyone.....?

Not wishing to seem impatient, just adding this post to punt this thread up the listing and thus more likely to be seen (hopefully by someone who can say "oh yeah, I had the exact same issue and it was ..............").

Sorry mate, only just seen this.

If it were a worn CV joint (either worn bearings or a scored runner like I had once) then I'd expect it to vibrate the car as you accelerated as well as the cracking you get on full lock depending where it's worn.

Could possibly your front lower wishbone bearing that's given up the ghost? At an outside chance, possible your anti roll bar bush? I'd be checking your anti roll bar drop links as well.

Dal said:
Sorry mate, only just seen this.

If it were a worn CV joint (either worn bearings or a scored runner like I had once) then I'd expect it to vibrate the car as you accelerated as well as the cracking you get on full lock depending where it's worn.

Could possibly your front lower wishbone bearing that's given up the ghost? At an outside chance, possible your anti roll bar bush? I'd be checking your anti roll bar drop links as well.

Cheers Dal, it's definitely something 'in that area' but so many of the issues all make the same sorts of noise and some (such as the CV) cant be 'seen' as obviously worn etc. Hence it's hard to pin down.

If jacked up and on axle stands nearside and offside, would any wear/problems on the wishbone, or anti-rollbar bush be apparent>

Also, one thing I forgot to add.... if I yank/pull on the wheel (I mean, outside the car, reaching into the wheel well and tugging on the tyre) there is a very slight give...maybe an 1/8th of an inch... horizontal play on the wheel. Which would tie in with wheel bearing... BUT, have not had the gradual droning/whine.

You'll probably not know what it is without getting it up to have a good poke about. Nothing should move really where you think it shouldn't.

Also, just remembered that when someone (of significant 'mass' - not me) got out (and in) the car it made the creaking noise then, as the car settled, so seems to hint at a suspension component somewhere.

Although, could actually be two different, though related problems.

In that case, I'd be checking your cars bushes first.

And indeed, when jacked up and a poke, prod and a bit of a fiddle was had.... seems a couple of the bushes now resemble a marshmallow.

The ones on the nearside aren't much better, but seem to have held up a little longer... not that that matters seeing as they would be replaced in pairs. Tried to take some photos down there, will get them up in a bit.

Finding out the problem is sometimes half the battle.

:thumbs:

Dal said:
Finding out the problem is sometimes half the battle.

:thumbs:

Indeed, and in this area (suspension/wheel/axle) there are so many things that all cause similar symptoms, noises, effects etc.

However, unless there is some other 'hidden' problem the most obvious issues are these 2 little buggers (see below) which now have the consistency of a warm marshmallow, or ABC (already been chewed) gum.....

Pics of the 2 together to show position... then closer up (only on phone camera, so not marvellous detail)

marshmallowbushes.jpg

mallow1.jpg

Mallow2.jpg

The first pic (small circle) and third pic are the drop links, easy enough to change yourself - Ford parts very expensive, after-market parts much cheaper.

First pic (oval circle) and second pic are lower arm ball joints, you would probably have noticed a bit of wandering in the steering?

Easier and cheaper to change the lower arms as will have new ball joints, front bushes and front rear bushes, but again, Ford parts expensive and after-market metal not as good.

I've just renewed the arm ball joints and front rear bushes (left PowerFlex front bush in) on original arms, but worked out more expensive as have to have the old front rear bushes pressed out and new ones pressed in. I did a lot of the dissassembly and assembly work myself.

Cheers for that.. means I can actually use 'real terms' when talking about them to mechanic friend and parts people instead of trying to describe the piece that has turned into Tofu.... I am taking it around to friend of a friend of mine, who happens to be a mechanic tomorrow but at least have a head-start in being able to direct him to what I think is the trouble.

I'd also check your susp springs and top mounts, give the wheel a turn when you have it in the air, these have the same issues as fiestas sometimes where the top mounts tend to grind.
Any other issues give us a shout!

Im experiencing very similar problems with my puma, did you ever have a follow up to what this was?

Thanks,
Grant

for the horizontal play my money is on the track rod end

ball joint looks like its missing its metal shield (stops heat from disc getting too it)

bushes and strut tops prob need doing...the above are 'consumables' (every few years), all the bushes (in fact anything rubber) isnt designed to last longer than 10 years...

pumas are just getting to that age where anything with rubber or a bearing will need replacing over the next few years...but then the car will be good for another 10 years :)

Back