Overheating?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenithus

I've been having some heating problems with my Puma since I bought it. It hardly ever goes cold through the blowers and the fan is frequently running very loud when I pull over to stop.

It all seems to have hit a peak today when I was driving up the main highway, doing 70mph as you do, and the temperature gauge suddenly dives into the red. I pulled off as quick as I could and navigated the smaller streets, opening the windows and blowing the hot air through the car, desperately trying to cool the engine.

It was fine by the time I made it back home, and obviously it's going stright to the garage, I just wondered what you guys' expert opinions were on this.

Air in the cooling system?

Maybe you Heater Control Valve has packed up?

Possibly also the water pump.

I hope you get it sorted out, do let us know how you get on!!

I would say heater control valve is most likely the culprit, as it controls both the blowers and the heater inside the car.

I replaced my coolant several weeks ago and have noticed the engine taking longer to warm up, which i take as a good thing.

Well its been fine today, blowing out cool air and not overheating the engine, so I'm taking it as an intermittent problem. However, saying that, I will be ordering a heater control valve and fitting it as soon as possible. If that doesn't fix it, it's off to the garage.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was also losing coolant due to a corroded pipe. Once they get to a certain age they go brittle and leak. Easy fix, the pipes are usually under a tenner each from ford and most should still have readable part numbers on them. Cheaper to replace a pipe than have it go completely and dump all your coolant into your gearbox.

It can be found here:
[albumimg]124[/albumimg]
It has a L and R pipe going into it on mine.

Remove the simple bulkhead sheet (a few screws along the width of the engine bay) to allow access, disconnect the electrical plug, and use mole grips to undo the 4 pipes, 2 at the front, 2 at the back. Slide the old one out (it's not screwed in, but just slides in). Slide the new one in, put the pipes back in the same positions as you removed them from the old one, plug in the electrical connector and refit the bulkhead sheet.

Job done.

Make sure your engine is cold when you do it, as the coolant running through it will scold you even if your engine hasnt run for an hour. I only waited 40 mins and it was still very hot, i was lucky not to get scolded. You will need to top your coolant up too when your finished as some will pour out.

Well I changed the HCV over today. Seems to be working a LOT better, but I guess it's one of these situations where only time will tell.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys :D

Hope it's the fix that was needed.

No need to thank - that's what we're here for.

8)

hi guys. my first post. i read detail of your problem, and so changed the hcv as per your suggestion, and now i have cold air and a/c works, but only when the car engine is switched off. as soon as i turn the engine on, i get hot air, and hot a/c only. stop the car, turn the engine off, and leave battery on, and its back to cold air (slowly) and cold a/c too.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

thanks

ian

Does your interior light work?

If not try the fuse for that as the heater goes hot if it's blown :)

red,

interior light works , but i've checked the fuse and (not surprisingly) thats fine, as is the fuse for the heater blower motor. someone mentioned above that the thermostat housing might need replacing, or i;m wondering an auxiliary fuse might be the culprit.

any suggestions before i take it to the garage!?

thanks

Latest posts

Back