Overheating.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitywoo

Hi
I'm hoping that somebody may have some suggestions as to why my Puma is over heating.
I've spent a fortune on it lately but this problem won't go away.
The garage have spent a full week on trying to fix it but to no avail. They've given up!
They've put in a anew thermostat and water pump and checked it over and over.
Everything seems ok. Then after driving for about 10 minutes the fan kicks in. The temperature gauge shows as normal. Then the water starts boiling.
Last night while driving steam was gushing out from the engine. When I stopped to look, the radiator fill up was completely empty and the engine was soaked thu. The cap was still fastened tight.
You can probably tell that I know nowt about engines, but I'm hoping somebody might have an idea what the problem might b? Thanks.

If your water tank was empty it sounds like you've sprung a leak!! How's your radiator looking?

Welcome to ProjP by the way :eek:k:

Hi. Thanks for replying.
Everything seems fine rad wise. I'm told the car is in great nick.
I've just explained the problem to a mechanic on the phone who seems to think it needs a new head gasket.
Sounds like a reasonable assumption, I'm just wary of throwing yet more money at it and still be up the creek!
Thanks again.

It might sound far fetched but others have had similar problems, changed the Hcv and its all been sorted.

Try filling the cooling system back up and get rid of the air locks, once you've done this if there is a steady stream of bubbles going into the header tank (what you've described as radiator fill up) then the head gasket has failed between the compression rings and water jacket. Is there excessive steam coming out of the exhaust? Is it difficult to start in the mornings? Both of these are also symptoms of HGF (head gasket failure).

How this helps

The car always starts first time and I haven't noticed any exhaust issues.
I assume hcv is heater control valve. I've read this somewhere else. You've convinced me to try this before paying for the head gasket to be replaced.
Thanks for your help. I'll report back :)

I purchased the wifes puma back in feb 2009 with a suspected headgasket fail hence we got it for an excellent price, signed up to this forum and had a search around and HCV kept coming up, aparrently if the HCV had a certain part number on it then it was prone to failure, I changed it for a new genuine ford one (£35 iirc) and low and behold everything was immediately resolved ;)

I have an overheating problem at the moment. The temp gauge went up to maximum so took it t garage and they replaced the thermostat. Took it home but problem still present mainly rad fan on at high speed. Garage checked stat again, replaced and filled system using a vacuum tool. Seems OK when left running on tickover but today fan came on full when driving and stayed on although gauge was in the middle. If I turn off ignition and restart the fan is off and the system doesn't appear too hot, could this be a sensor problem? No water in oil or rad gurgling, no power loss either, 90k 1 owner from new. Any ideas - driving me a bit barmy now

Heating/cooling systems on a puma can drive you potty! the fact that the fan is comming on and the temp gauge staying in the middle means that your fan is at least doing the job it is suposed to, which is the good news. Even replacing the coolant with a vacume tool does not ensure that you don't have the odd air bubble still in your system as they have so many twists and turns. Next time you hear your fan kick in, if it's safe to do so, pull over, pop your hood, check the coolant level in your header tank. If it is even slightly up you could have an air lock/bubble in the system. Very carefully and slowly release the top of the header tank and listen. You will be able to hear the preasure release and should hear any bubble being dragged through the system. Be warned however it may take several months of this to rid your system completely! Have you noticed any difference in the fan kicking in when you have your heater in the car on/off? If so it could be the old HCV problem, many members, myself included, have had very strange problems with these having failed. Of course all this being said you could be right with the sensor but better to eliviate the simple stuff first, good luck and will keep checking back to see how you get on :)

Still the gauge is rising after a a mile or so run, and the fan comes on. If I put the heater on blower the gauge falls back. i have a new hcv which I bought a few years ago so will change it tomorrow even tho it does seem to be working. So far thats thermostat changed, pump checked, radiator flushed. If no joy guess a sniff test is required?

Changed the hcv this morning and the problem is solved. Don't how this could be because the old valve was working OK as far as on/off was concerned. Just one of those puma idiosyncrasies I guess. Thanks for all your help. Ray

Latest posts

Back