phew what a week of projects.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crikey I have started something here..

I have the steel engine and no car...this is going to be built over the winter and i will start with a standardish head and mild gt28 installation with intercooler...aiming for 250 plus bhp and plenty of low down power, will run it around 7000 rpm to start...if she feels good I may then play with higher revs...I would love 10k but not sure if i want to destroy it or not..as I say i need the car next
a bike engine may actually be the best way for me to go..a hayabusa engine with turbo will run well into 300 bhp and is reasonably reliable. 12000 rpm, now that is a sound to love...

My pectel and loom is coming this week whoop whoop

Ginger Tom said:
RyanG said:
Ginger Tom said:
When I get the xr2 done I might get you and your dad to set it up for me :eek:k:

Happily mate only issue is the engine has to be on pectel and out the car for the Dyno, an issue for some people but I love it not having to run in the engine for 100's of miles in the car lol.

The issue wouldn't be with having to get the engine out, it's the ecu bit, I'm running dta s60 and associated loom

excellent looks like your miles ahead of me so far..., but my team work fast once started...

yep,

went for a T2 and managed to get hold of an S1600 loom so it shouldnt need many mods

Simon

RyanG said:
Blue3 said:
My pectel and loom is coming this week whoop whoop

Nice did you go for t2 in the end ?
Have you decided about putting it on a Dyno ?

Blue3 said:
yep,

went for a T2 and managed to get hold of an S1600 loom so it shouldnt need many mods

Simon

Sounds good just the hair brush plug will be different I'd imagine
Did you buy it new ?
Who's mapping it for you ?

yes all new and unlocked

Not sure about mapping yet, but it will be a while off yet

Simon

RyanG said:
Blue3 said:
yep,

Simon

Sounds good just the hair brush plug will be different I'd imagine
Did you buy it new ?
Who's mapping it for you ?

the cars will need a few mods, electric steering pump, maybe an alternative alternator system, wind powered or something, a few holes to plug then we have to get the throttle bodies sorted the gerbox sorted, the drive shafts, i am sure the std ib5 wont work...so it has to be an mtx 75 so am on the hunt for that, the clutch I want to fit a heavy duty, non race non paddle clutch if I can find one man enough...and I still think that this engine would run really well with a mild turbo fitting, maybe one of those low speed rear of the car jobbies, giving it a steady stream of moderate air pressure with minimal back pressure...would be an interesting mod..

paulob1 said:

I have the steel engine and no car...this is going to be built over the winter and i will start with a standardish head and mild gt28 installation with intercooler...aiming for 250 plus bhp and plenty of low down power, will run it around 7000 rpm to start...if she feels good I may then play with higher revs...I would love 10k but not sure if i want to destroy it or not..as I say i need the car next
a bike engine may actually be the best way for me to go..a hayabusa engine with turbo will run well into 300 bhp and is reasonably reliable. 12000 rpm, now that is a sound to love...

Im confused, you want to run 10k with a turbo?? If thats the case, the GT28 will be no good for that, id expect the power and torque on that engine will start to drop off around 6500rpm, that turbo wont flow nowhere near enough for even 8k. For high rpm youd need variable vein i think, youd need something like a GT35 to run to those kind of revs, but youd get lag on a 1.7 until about 6-7k. i really wouldnt bother with that. the only car engines youl find high revving with a turbo are rotary, and drag cars with nitrus to spool it low down.

PumaNoob said:
paulob1 said:

Im confused, you want to run 10k with a turbo?? If thats the case, the GT28 will be no good for that, id expect the power and torque on that engine will start to drop off around 6500rpm, that turbo wont flow nowhere near enough for even 8k. For high rpm youd need variable vein i think, youd need something like a GT35 to run to those kind of revs, but youd get lag on a 1.7 until about 6-7k. i really wouldnt bother with that. the only car engines youl find high revving with a turbo are rotary, and drag cars with nitrus to spool it low down.[/q

This is what I was getting at you would need a huge exhaust housing for the backpressure then you would have to tail the boost off to near nothing by that rpm otherwise the turbo would be overdpeed and explode..

paulob1 said:
the cars will need a few mods, electric steering pump, maybe an alternative alternator system, wind powered or something, a few holes to plug then we have to get the throttle bodies sorted the gerbox sorted, the drive shafts, i am sure the std ib5 wont work...so it has to be an mtx 75 so am on the hunt for that, the clutch I want to fit a heavy duty, non race non paddle clutch if I can find one man enough...and I still think that this engine would run really well with a mild turbo fitting, maybe one of those low speed rear of the car jobbies, giving it a steady stream of moderate air pressure with minimal back pressure...would be an interesting mod..

Paul are you putting an mtx box even with the f3 engine or just the turbo lumps.

no dont get confused with my loves to's and my will do's sorry for confusing...the point I would love to run it at 10000 rpm, not for power or anything just for the sound as I say I love a screaming engine. So no it will not go up there....the hayabusa engine route may be a possibility

right now i am looking for one mtx box for he f3 engine, if I get one that fits i may get another,...it may be easier and cheaper just to buy the quaife intenals for the ib5 but not at that stage yet...so much more work to do on the engine than i thought...minor little things but Blue3 is doing tons of the research work so making my life easier there...holes to plug, seals to adapt, throttle bodies, etc how to make it driveable is the major issue really...

getting the steel engine and the f3 engine in my engine shed and starting work on them this week...

will post piccies once started..

paulob1 said:
no dont get confused with my loves to's and my will do's sorry for confusing...the point I would love to run it at 10000 rpm, not for power or anything just for the sound as I say I love a screaming engine. So no it will not go up there....the hayabusa engine route may be a possibility

right now i am looking for one mtx box for he f3 engine, if I get one that fits i may get another,...it may be easier and cheaper just to buy the quaife intenals for the ib5 but not at that stage yet...so much more work to do on the engine than i thought...minor little things but Blue3 is doing tons of the research work so making my life easier there...holes to plug, seals to adapt, throttle bodies, etc how to make it driveable is the major issue really...

getting the steel engine and the f3 engine in my engine shed and starting work on them this week...

will post piccies once started..

Only thing I'm thinking is with an mtx box with the f3 engine it will be geared for like 160 or even more.
As compared with the turbo engine it won't make that much tourque I thought a shorter ratio box would of been the way forward like the frp box or even a quaife final drive like a 4.7. :)

Back