phew what a week of projects.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know how much Quaife internals for the IB5 box would be? And how much torque you could put through them? I think my rings have bedded in a little better now, & I've also re tuned my ECU on boost, the timing was very retarded and the fuelling was very rich. I've tweaked the AFR from full rich (off the gauge), to 11:1, and advanced the timing a few degrees. I think I'm running more power now, & I'm not sure how long this gearbox will last!

yes about 2k for the ib5 if i remember correctly.. agree re speed, i certainly dont want 160 mph, max i need is 140 full stop...

the only thought is that the mtx fifth will then act as a bit of an overdrive and rev her nice a slow, making the first four gears my working gears, gives me a dual mode car, crazy if needs be and relaxed if not...and to be honest i have not looked into the ratios at all yet so much else to think...but right with your ryan...I dont want high speed...even if she will pull that speed...

PumaNoob said:
Does anyone know how much Quaife internals for the IB5 box would be? And how much torque you could put through them? I think my rings have bedded in a little better now, & I've also re tuned my ECU on boost, the timing was very retarded and the fuelling was very rich. I've tweaked the AFR from full rich (off the gauge), to 11:1, and advanced the timing a few degrees. I think I'm running more power now, & I'm not sure how long this gearbox will last!

i wouldnt bother with the quaife internals especially at 2k
ive heard of them breaking with zetec turbos around 350bhp i would definately go with the mtx my brother had the diesel in his 300bhp cvh turbo and gave him 160mph at 6500rpm that was a really nice box. the petrol mtx from an rs2000 is around 130- 135 at 6500 a bit short for a turbo engine in my opinion they like a long gear to pull against with the tourque.

Cheers for the advice bud, i already have an MTX box in my garage, i cant use any of the older MTX boxes as the bell housing on my engine is Mazda, so i can only use the box from later mondeos, focus, and mazda 6. The Mazda 3 MPS box fits mine, its just a really hard to get one less then £600. Intrestingly enough, my engine is the same base as the new focus ST, so if i could get hold of one i can use the box off that! They have got to be able to take a bit of power!! And a 6 speed too!

PumaNoob said:
Cheers for the advice bud, i already have an MTX box in my garage, i cant use any of the older MTX boxes as the bell housing on my engine is Mazda, so i can only use the box from later mondeos, focus, and mazda 6. The Mazda 3 MPS box fits mine, its just a really hard to get one less then £600. Intrestingly enough, my engine is the same base as the new focus ST, so if i could get hold of one i can use the box off that! They have got to be able to take a bit of power!! And a 6 speed too!

ahhh forgot yours is a duratec, the focus 6 speed would be cool doesnt the st box have a lsd fitted standard to that would be they way :)

I dont think they have LSD, they have some sort of electronically controlled torque control that sort of acts as an LSD, or at least its supposed to.

PumaNoob said:
I dont think they have LSD, they have some sort of electronically controlled torque control that sort of acts as an LSD, or at least its supposed to.

Got ya is that the same as the focus es then

I'm not sure, I don't know anything about the focus RS box, I took more of an interest in the new ST because i was thinking there will be loads of new stuff available for my engine, but there are quite a few differences too. Not sure what the actual box is, might just be a 6 speed mtx, or a stronger getrag box like the ST170 had.

okay sounds like I need the diesel box, for the turbo engine and the rs2000 box for the f3 engine...thoughts being that at 8000 rpm I will be pulling over 140 mph...enough, and the turbo engine with 300 -350 bhp and a wider power band will be pulling stronger throughout the rev range and so will pull a taller gearing...

what do you guys think...now to find the things...and then there is the starter issue...

paulob1 said:
okay sounds like I need the diesel box, for the turbo engine and the rs2000 box for the f3 engine...thoughts being that at 8000 rpm I will be pulling over 140 mph...enough, and the turbo engine with 300 -350 bhp and a wider power band will be pulling stronger throughout the rev range and so will pull a taller gearing...

what do you guys think...now to find the things...and then there is the starter issue...

The diesel box for the turbo lump will be perfect, as will the rs2000 box for the f3 engine but will be geared for closer to 150 or more

there are a coupleof mtx 75 boxes on, will the 2 litre tdci box work...for the diesel, going to buy an rs 2000 box with four wheel drive shaft, just wodering if there is some way to use this to power anciliaries on the f3 engine, alternator or similar...

Latest posts

Back