Platinum 6 Speaker Option - info

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublustu

Hi all.

Does anyone know how many cars were fitted with the factory option 6 speaker sytem and amp?
Also, were the front speakers upgraded too with this option?

Thanks in advance, Stu..

Not sure but I've had about 120 Pumas through the yard in the last few years and I've currently got one with the upgraded speakers. So based on that ratio, 60k odd Pumas registered that is 500 cars. So not many if those stats are anything to go by!

Will know about the front speaker question when I take it apart.

Hi Ian, (I must pm you on another matter)

I`ve just picked up my engine donor (I had an incident at Oulton)
Its a Black Which has the Ford option. Which someone had bought to break.
They`ve flogged the rear speakers but left the sound boxes, the fronts and the amp etc.

I almost wish I had a road car, but alas this will be sold.
I`m hoping it might just buy me a few engine swap necessities, I haven`t a clue of its worth.

As far as I can tel, the front and rear speekers were untoutched... or atleast it doesnt say they are uppgraded in my sales brochure :)

I have been doing some digging. and the front speakers are indeed different.
There is a small `tweeter` in the center of the cone, which is on none that are on ebay!
There you go

I so wish the rears were still there :cry:

trublustu said:
Does the brochure give you a price for this option?
No, but the price list inserts do.

£250 for the Platinum sound pack in 1998. Went up to £300 in 1999. Was still an option as of March 2001.

Doesn`t look like many had deep enough pockets back then..

Which is quite surprising as you got a very tidily fitted, professionally designed and properly connected "ICE" system
for what would be comparable in cost to the aftermarket parts of similar spec.

I`ll get some pics up in the morning..

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know, as I've got these on mine.

I've also got some pics of the rear speakers somewhere, from when I was doing the rear arches and had the rear cards/speaker enclosures off.

trublustu said:
I can`t believe this guy has flogged the rear panels and speakers.
Obviously didn't realise what he had..
I can believe it.

I didn't realise until a few months back, when someone pointed it out to me. I had assumed that all Pumas were like that. Mainly, I think, because the rear cards are designed as part of the car and not an obvious bolt-on. I suppose the massive amp in the boot should have given me a clue.

It's OK, but no way would I pay £300.00 for it, then or now.

Agreed, my daily drive has it`s OE Ford Traffic @1996. It doesnt even have a tape deck!

But some people love that sort of thing.

How loud is it btw?

The Platinum audio system is based on the Series 7000 radio/cassette player with an output of 4 x 20 watt.
In addition to the radio/cassette player and two speakers at the front and rear, the system includes two sub-woofers and an 85 watt mono amplifier.
The result is an output of 165 watts and a peak power of 330 watts.
This produces a very high and even sound pressure level in the base frequency ranges.
The Platinum 7000 audio system is available as optional equipment, but not in combination with a heated windscreen.
The Series 7000 radio/cassette player also has an integral control unit for a Ford CD changer which can be fitted under the front passenger's seat.

trublustu said:
How loud is it btw?
Silly loud, miles too loud....for their own good.

What I mean by that, is that it's not a problem for me as I listen to stuff quietly or even through earphones on long journeys, but that they cause distortion at high volumes.

I'm reckoning that anyone who shelled out for that would want them playing pretty loud, so where's all the baffling/acoustic deadening material needed to do the job properly? It's not there. Possible, I suppose, that whoever fitted it left it out, but seems unlikely.

But, without doing that (just like huge speakers at home) not all the sound is thrown forward and at high volume other stuff starts vibrating/droning/rattling that's not supposed to.

Do the front speakers work with the standard audio setup? As in could i just swap the normal ones ones for the tweeted ones and go about my business, or do i need crossovers and stuff? I assume the amp was just for the sub.

I have the 6000CD (changer compatible, volume wheel) btw.

Hi Tom.
I`m not sure about the wiring for the fronts yet. Probably standard )2 wire) though. There is a quite separate loom on the NS of the boot which I haven`t seen on any other Puma.
I`ll be stripping the boot liners out to see how its set up and removing the loom to go with the amp, Xover & rear double speaker boxes.

Mmmmmm.

Well keep us posted Stu i do like my choons and was thinking of a good, cheap way to get a better sound system.

I`ll get chance to get some better pics up tomorrow
(its been too dark when i`ve got to the car and all you can see is a silver square!

Tom, You are welcome to pop over on Sunday (gonna get stuck right int the cars) and have a look at this set up, I`d appreciate your `musical` experience, you can tell me what you make of it.

Back