Potential MOT repairs + costs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP88

Hi all,

Picked up a 1999 1.7 Puma for a bargain price at 75k miles. MOT due in September, so I've taken a look at the advisories to see what sort of costs it might throw up in a worst case scenario - any help or thoughts are apprieciated.

Since the last MOT, the car has done 3000 miles, and probably another 2000 until the next MOT is due - so a 5000 mile year.

Front directional indicators deteriotated, but still visible for a reasonable distance
Guessing this is due to the front headlight lenses being slightly discoloured - as far as I can see, the indicators are easily visible - maybe a pedantic MOT tester?

Nearside front suspension arm ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt
If this has deteriorated further, what sort of costs involved?

Front (both) brake hoses slightly deteriorated
Again, costs involved to get both replaced if they're too badly damaged?

Rear exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases
Does this mean the backbox has a some kind of hole in it? Or is it not quite that simple? If so, can any hole be patched up, or is it a case of a new backbox?

Rear beam axle bushes slightly worn
For some reason, this is the one that concerns me most.. it's only listed as "slightly" but still.. would this affect the cars rear handling? I've noticed the Puma is quite keen to drift its back end out under acceleration, but this is pretty much all Pumas I think? Again, if the bushes both need replacing, what sort of costs?

Thanks again for any help in advance.

These are all very minor things for a Puma. You would expect to see something about corrosion but as there's no comment I would expect your car to be quite good but definitely with a pedantic examiner. Nothing on that list is overly complicated or expensive to fix, especially if you do it yourself.
Barry

There's literally NOTHING on the arches which I'm absolutely chuffed about - someone has looked after this car at some point.. as I've noticed the parcel shelf has had a very good repair job at some point to stop it falling into the boot. It's also on a private plate, so it's been cared for obviously. :cool: :cool:

Front directional indicators deteriotated, but still visible for a reasonable distance

Correct - headlight lenses to blame. Fairly expensive for nice ones but they also won't deteriorate much before the next test.

Nearside front suspension arm ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt

Part about £10, labour about 30 minutes.

Front (both) brake hoses slightly deteriorated

£15-20 per side for the part, labour about 1 hour.

Rear exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases

Depends how bad it is, you can sometimes bodge up and seal it but if its leaking because its corroded you're normally better buying a new backbox rather than faffing with the old one. £40 for the part, labour 30 minutes.

Rear beam axle bushes slightly worn

Will affect handling if you're looking for it but its more likely to exhibit itself as a knock under braking or cornering. Part £15-20 each and there are two, labour 45 minutes per side.

Top three you can attempt yourself if you're confident. Bushes I wouldn't try as they're pressed in with quite some force so unless you've got the facility to do that, that's probably better given to someone else.

As Barry says, none of it particularly worrying. I would think the exhaust is the most likely to re-appear on subsequent tests. The others you might get away with although it would be prudent to sort them if you need the car to pass.

Genuinely can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback.

Haven't heard any knocking under braking to be fair, so the bushes are possibly OK for a while yet, but nice to know it's not a huge job to replace.

With regards to the exhaust having a slight leak of gases.. does the way the advisory was written ("Rear exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases") mean that the leak must be from the backbox? I'll take a good look tomorrow and get some photos of what I can.

Taken a few photos that might be relevant - one of the arches showing lack of rust, two of the front and back of the backbox, and the underbody of the car - seems in pretty good condition for a 15 year old car?

DUjTUGj.jpg

3ZAYkb9.jpg

SbgLW1b.jpg

W8sdyBD.jpg

Looks like that back box needs replacing... Looks to me like the rust has gone through the first skin.

Rest of it looks tidy though :thumbs:

Back