Project Puma Mk2 {The Silver One}

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWX85

Hello all.

I have been lurking around here for a while and had intended to move my project thread over here from the 'other forum' but before I could the car took a trip to the crusher via a ditch with some help from me.

This is what I had.

This is what I did to it.

Not giving up on owning a track/road puma once the insurance money came through I started my search for a second car. I viewed alot of cars accross Essex all promising to be good on paper and over the phone, But i eventualy found this car down in Brighton.

Its a 99 model with 78k on the clock, alot of history including a recent cambelt change and very little rust on the arches. It was a perfect base for turning it into a everyday use track car.

It remained standard for a couple of months whilst I collected all the parts I need for the first round of modifications. There were alot of lessons learnt from the first car which all helped to make this better from the word go.

Before I start I must say a big thanks to my mate Rob {BurfyBoy} who put alot of time into getting this car to where it is now.

I was able to save some bits from the original car, mostly the black headlining that was a git to get right. These are the pictures from the black car.

I had wanted to spray all the silver dash surrounds, heater panel and cd player gloss black to match the headlining, but I never got round to it before and with a few months before the serious mods could start it was a perfect time to do it.

I also covered the door card cloth inserts in the same material as the headlining.

Now for the good stuff. The first thing I bought for the car were the wheels, I bought my self some brand new EsCos 16" 8J wheels from Ford.

After lowering the old car I found that I was having to replace cv joints, track rod ends and anti roll bar drop links, so this time round everything was going to be replaced in one go.
One saturday was set aside to replace and fit the following.

1.Wishbones {with racing puma bushes}
2.Track Rod Ends
3.CV Joints
4.Anti Roll Bar Drop Links
5.FRP Arch Mod
6.Weitec Coilovers
7.EsCos Wheels
8.FRP Gearbox Mount
9.Custom Rear Strut Brace
10.Stainless Steel Exhaust
11.Service, including the fitting of a new Maf, ICV, K&N & Rocker Cover Gasket.
12. Remove rear seats, spare wheel and carrier and the rear wiper and motor.

Now for the pictures.

After all of this was complete we had planned to bleed the brakes as I had been having issues with how far the pedal travels before the brakes bite. The initial theory was that there was just air in the line, which was true but only the tip of the iceberg. After the first bleeding attempt I had no brakes at all so the car had to be parked up, A trip out to get an eazibleed also turned out to be fruitless but we did discover that the brake master cylinder was near enough dead. I managed to source one on Monday and get it fitted Monday afternoon.

Nice clean reservoir.

Here is how the car looks now.

The next step is the 300mm brake upgrade then seats and a cage.

Cheers for reading

Welcome along! Excellent first post :eek:k:

Poor little black Puma! Were you hurt at all!?

Love those wheels on the Puma, I think they suit it really well. Keep up the good work!

Hi Adam,

Great work, especially like the way you've kept the carpet around the rear strut brace.. I should have done that but I've stripped out and binned all my boot trim now :|

Good find on that car, bodywork looks very straight and tidy

cheers for the last two stickers - got them yesterday!

Will you be at Ford Fair? I owe you a beer I think...

Pat

Looks like Toyo T1R tyres are fitted.

Welcome, nice second project car :D

Re-fitting the front splitter?

Dal said:
Welcome along! Excellent first post :eek:k:

Poor little black Puma! Were you hurt at all!?

Love those wheels on the Puma, I think they suit it really well. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

I was quite lucky, I only had very minor injuries.

zara#014 said:
Alreet mate!

Welcome over :D

Thanks, certainly seems to be more friendly over here

Pat_T said:
Hi Adam,

Great work, especially like the way you've kept the carpet around the rear strut brace.. I should have done that but I've stripped out and binned all my boot trim now :|

Good find on that car, bodywork looks very straight and tidy

cheers for the last two stickers - got them yesterday!

Will you be at Ford Fair? I owe you a beer I think...

Pat

Thats great, I am pleased they turned up in the end. I am would like to go to Ford Fair, I have got a wedding that weekend that I would like to duck out of.

The bodywork is alot better than the black car, just need to sort the rusty rear arch.

red said:
Looks like Toyo T1R tyres are fitted.

Welcome, nice second project car :D

Re-fitting the front splitter?

They are indeed T1R's I idealy wanted Paradas but I struggled to find them in the size I needed and these had pretty good reviews.

I have got a splitter for this car, should be fitting that next weekend with any luck.

PumaJay said:
ooo that looked a bad shunt!! what size wheels did you have on the black one?? 15's or 17's??

It wasnt clever the floor pan folded up as did the roof. I will put some more pictures up

They were 15" Team Dynamics Pro Race 3's

Great car, not biased of course :wink:

Looking forward to seeing you give it some bedding in on a track day sometime soon :cool:

Dont bin this one please :lol:

Time for a few updates,

After the car was lowered and set up on the new wheels I took it for a little spin around Brands Hatch. I was really impressed with how the car performed It handled fantastically, could do with some more straight line speed but I will get to that at a later date. My only problem with the car was the seat, as I was turning hard into the corners I started to slide out.

Here are some photos from the evening :grin:

So the first modification after brands was to fit a new seat. I bought a Corbeau Forza seat and Luke harness.

I was amazed with how easy it was to fit, the only issues that arose were with me rushing to get it in. With removing the pre tensioner and the original seat belt the airbag light is now flashing which is something I do need to sort out.

The rest of the alterations are all cosmetic. I have fitted new black and silver ford badges, I really like the way the badge now sits flush with the boot.

Like with my old car I wanted some custom badges for the a pillers and boot so I produced these puma motor sport ones.

I painted the wing mirrors black, fitted a matt black sun strip and carbon fibre effect sill plates.

After a good clean this morning I went out to take some photos, although only briefly due to rain, but this is how the car looks now.

The next step is to relocate the battery to the boot, fit a new steering wheel and replace the brake shoes then I should be set for Cadwell park at the end of the month.

Only just seen this project thread. Great work so far.

A quick question. Why did you have to replace the CV joints and track rod ends? I have also lowered mine on Weitecs and was getting heavy vibration on acceleration. When I raised the car up 10mm or so it went but now my passenger side front wheel still vibrates a little when I take a right hand turn. Was this happening to you and the reason for changing the CV/Rod ends??

I have new ARB drop links already fitted so would like to know if your old ones were just shot or you needed shorter ones?

Cheers ;)

Latest posts

Back