Puma 0-60mph

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggamuffin

According to Parkers Ford Puma 1.7 runs a 0-60 time of 9.2 seconds. I clocked mine at 8.5 whilst holding a camera, pulling awkwardly out of a layby and not red lining each gear. I reckon I could probably shave it down to 8.25 with that in mind.

Glad to see the manifold and full exhaust system has helped. Next to strip her, whack some bucket seats and carbon fibre door panels and see how we do next time round.

Will be able to afford the door panels next month and the first bucket seat and accessories end of November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfeYYNHOlg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed

The earlier Pumas were around 8.8 but people on here thought they were actually quicker, so if you're running a later Puma, you've managed to get it as quick as an earlier one! ;p

What made you go for third gear? leaving it in second will take some time off without even stripping her out, have to say though my millie feels not a lot slower than my old 944 which was supposedly around 7-8 seconds to 60.

I think the puma because it is such a light car performs great without the need to rev the a**e out of it, the amount of torque is superb and very useable in any gear, brilliant little cars. :grin:

It's an early model - 1999. I should've stayed in 1st and second for a bit longer, I know I can get to 60 in 2nd but holding a phone in one hand and changing gear in another etc makes it all a bit clumsy. I'll be sure to muster a better setup when I strip the car and try again with the old 0-60 :lol:

Ed

Puma isn't at all made for 0-60 or straight line speed. If that's what you want you need a turbo or a different car

Ed, I'd edit your posts, and advise a passenger hold your camera in future!!!

Yes, I'm an old spoilsport :)

spike. said:
Ed, I'd edit your posts, and advise a passenger hold your camera in future!!!

Yes, I'm an old spoilsport :)

Glad I read the entire thread before posting , now I don't have to be the miserable old git to say that :)

True it doesn't have best straight line speed and I do miss my old 2.3l turbo Saab. But this Puma will be a track day toy soon enough so I can actually learn to drive properly. But the 0-60 will keep dropping when I continue modding the car so that's always a bonus :p

Ed

Thats true :D but you dont need is as much low down on a track like you would want for standing starts

Hardly a scientific approach!.Why are people so obsessed with 0-60 times?More important what a vehicle does 30 -100 mph.To be honest i doubt if those mods would even notice on a hand held stopwatch.You really need a data logger or something similar

Another point to make would be the accuracy of the speedo, it's going to read 60 before 60 is reached unless you have bigger wheels

Of course in reality the most useful acceleration for road use is that required for overtaking at anything over 40/50 mph and at that the Puma is brilliant due to its low gearing and torque.

From 40mph I can get to 65/70mph rapidly enough to catch most people napping and normally without the need to change gear.

Cruising at 60mph and the pull up to 80mph and above is fantastic (not that I do that of course officer) :grin:

I do need to get bigger wheels before I get coil overs because the exhaust clamp already scrapes on some very harsh speed bumps and I live in an area which has a lot, especially on the way to work. So I was thinking some 17's to raise the car a bit, help fill the arches a bit better and then the coil overs can perhaps sit a little lower than the standard ride height.

I'm not at all obsessed by 0-60 I just thought it'd be fun to try. The actual real driving aspect on track days will be a lot more relevant and fun for me.

Ed

raggamuffin said:
I do need to get bigger wheels before I get coil overs because the exhaust clamp already scrapes on some very harsh speed bumps and I live in an area which has a lot, especially on the way to work. So I was thinking some 17's to raise the car a bit, help fill the arches a bit better and then the coil overs can perhaps sit a little lower than the standard ride height.

I'm not at all obsessed by 0-60 I just thought it'd be fun to try. The actual real driving aspect on track days will be a lot more relevant and fun for me.

Ed
Yes get it out on track,would'nt worry too much about wheels and suspension mods too much[they are so good out the box].Just brake fluid,new brake flexibles and some track tuition .Its embarassing what they can stay with on a small circuit :wink:

Bigger wheels on their own will not physically raise the car height significantly, unless you also fit bigger diameter tyres. In which case you will over-gear the car and loose acceleration.
As an example, go to the following site:
http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enter the standard 195/50/15 tyre/wheel combination in the Stock Tyre Size and the standard FRP 215/40/17 in the New Tyre Size.
17" total diameter = 60.38 cm
15" total diameter = 57.60 cm
17" - 15" diameter = 2.78 cm
Divided by 2, this gives a height increase of only 1.39cm, before you start lowering the suspension.
Now, in the New Tyre Size, change the Profile to 50, this will raise the height by 3.54 cm, but read what it does to the gearing/speedo.

I have a OBD Bluetooth unit plugged into my ECU which talks to my Samsung phone which runs "Torque"
One of the options is 0-60 which I have played with :wink:
The speed is GOS speedo so it is accurate.
6.7 seconds is my best in the FRP, but that is running NOS :cool:

True, I forgot when I get an Emerald ECU the torque limiter in 1st and second will be removed. That'd help the 0-60 quite significantly with an extra 25 bhp as standard.

Ed

Latest posts

Back