Puma front springs question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbgwynne

Don't hate me if this has been asked before. I did search for spring realted questions and got over 1500 hits...

Basically I am wonding about the amount of comression that the front strut springs are under when fully extended. I've done struts on Toyota's and BMW's and generally the front springs take quite a bit of force to comress. I was inspecting the GF's Puma (50K miles) yesterday and with the front wheels off the ground I can raise the wheels quite easily about 3 inches or more. Are the springs shot? A carefull inspection didn't uncover a broken spring.

The reason for checking this was because she hit a massive hole and has been complaining about a lot of knocking on the NS ever since. Raising and lowering the wheel seems to have no damping going on so I suspect she's killed the shock absorber on the NS. There is obvious damping on the O/S.

If any of this is just normal Puma behaviour, please let me know before I start replacing the struts, top mounts and bearings.

Cheers,

Rob

you won't be able to check the suspension just by seeing how much it rises when jacking..it odes take a fair amount of lifting before the tyre clears the floor...that normal..

do you have the original ford springs fitted?

knocking at the front can often be the anti-roll bar bushes...can you pull the bat through the bush a little?

Even when jacked up I think you will find the spring is still under a certain amount of pressure, doubt you should be able to lift the wheel by hand very much.

Has the seal on the shock maybe gone?...visible oil would be a giveaway....big pothole will trash shocks easily, simple bounce test should point you in the right direction.

el dude has methinks misunderstood your query a little....mind you his reference to bats and bushes is interesting :grin:

I found this in another post
Nominal height from wheel center to top of wheel arch, measured at wheel centerline:
Front - 375mm
Rear - 378mm

Just measured GF’s and got
O/S front - 340mm
N/S front - 340mm
O/S rear - 350mm
N/S rear - 360mm

I'm pretty sure it's all stock too. Also worth mentioning that with the front wheels off the ground I can turn the springs in their seats by 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

Hmm, did my front top mounts a couple of weeks back, the springs were under a lot of pressure when the shock was off the car, no way you could compress it or lift the wheel much when fully extended. Also when I released the spring clamps after fitting the new top bearing I noticed the spring had rotated slightly, had to fully re-compress it to turn & seat the spring, don't know how you are doing it on the car! Can only guess you have non standard shorter springs fitted?

What's the feeling on using lowering springs with standard shocks? I'm thinking specifically using the existing springs with a set of KYB Excel-G shocks. I am assuming that the car has lowering springs as opposed to ones that are simply too short. I don't have any experience with lowering springs though. I would have assumed that they weren't a lot shorter, just take more compression to reach theirpreload point.

Having done some off-site reading, it seems there are big arguments on both side of the lowering debate. Since GF is not a speed junkie, I recon I will simply replace front shocks and springs with original.

Sounds like a plan. The standard set up is excellent, you'll probably notice an increase in ride quality too if someone has simply "bunged" on a pair of lowered stiffer springs, Ford R&D didn't spend £££££££ developing the excellent chassis only to be out done by a pair of cheapo Ebay springs I presume.. :cool:

Back