Puma wont start - possible electrical issue?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumafi

I have a T Reg 1.4 Puma, only had it about 3 months but not had a single problem with it at all until this morning.

My boot release has never worked using the key so I unlocked the drivers door and went to open the boot but it wouldn't open? Took a few presses before it eventually opened. Then when I went to start the engine, it wouldn't turn over at all and all the dials went a bit mad and all the dash lights came on. The front windscreen wipers also came on even though they were not switched on. I can also hear a clicking noise that sounds like it is coming from just behind the ignition barrel. This happens even when the key is not in the ignition.

I tried to start it a few more times and all that happens is it clicks and I can hear a clicking noise in the engine. The clock in the car flickers a bit and the front windscreen wipers come on as soon as you turn the key to position 2. I have no lights and the radio does not come on.

A little bit of history, sometimes when I put the front windscreen wipers on I can hear that clicking noise from behind the ignition barrell, I didnt think much of it until now! Also I was using the wipers last night when the car was working fine, it was probably the last thing I turned off.

Any ideas of where to start? I am a complete novice but don't mind getting my hands dirty. I can change fuses etc but not sure where to start under the bonnet!

If by the dials went a bit mad you mean sweeping forward and backwards that is a sign of a flat battery.

The clicking from under the bonnet possibly the solenoid on the starter clicking

The question is do you have a battery problem or a alternator / charging problem.

Try changing for a known good battery first and see where you go from there.

I have a little used battery for sale but I dont expect your anywhere near me.

My sister has one of those battery chargers so I am going to borrow that and charge the battery first before anything else.

I am based in Manchester like you so pretty close! Might be needing a new battery if thats the issue.

Be aware that modern batteries no longer lose power slowly like they used to (some of us on here remember that far back) batteries now simply "die" overnight, something to do with the way they are now made, so even if once charged the car starts it would be best to replace the battery as soon as you can to prevent you being stranded somewhere in a couple of days with a dead battery.

Good luck

I just pm'd him much the same advice. When my last one went due to it running dry I just didnt think its worth the hassle to try and revive the old one.

check cable between engine and chassie.
check battery terminals if corroded and or loose.
measure the voltage you get on the battery terminals with car off. should be 12v

Well I disconnected the battery and connected it to charger and left it for about 5 hours, connected it back up and everything started up straight away no problem.

I am going to give it a full charge when I have the time but hopefully it will be ok for now.

Thanks for your help

Back