Re:Removal of rocker cover

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuonokid

Just getting round to replacing my cambelt and dutifully following the Ford guide. I'm trying to get the rocker cover off and the Ford guide says detach the cam sensor which is on the pedestal poking through the rocker cover, done that it just pulls out. Then it says "carefully take out the rubber seal" there is a rubber seal at the bottom of the pedestal so I'm assuming that's the one but how do you get it out without damaging it? The 4 nuts are off the rocker cover and it's loose at the front of the engine but not at the rear where the cam sensor is.
Any help would be appreciated.
Barry

Have you read this?

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I wouldn't dream of doing my own cam belt change but I have to say if your struggling at this stage you really should reconsider doing it. Experienced mechanics are known to get it wrong. Good luck :thumbs:

Cheers for that Questy. No mention of this on the guide but a couple of references later on about the seal but with no definite answers. It looks like in the guide pictures that the seal comes off with the rocker cover, I might just run some light machine oil down the side of the pedestal.
As for the cambelt change I am well aware of the pitfalls as I've warned other people off before about this. I have the Ford Etis, Gates bulletin #036, and all the special tools including the vib damper holder, remover and re-installer. The only problems should be caused by Fords "light" instructions and access is a bit limited.
Barry

Sussed it now. The Ford ETIS is wrong. I ran some light machine oil down the seal between it and the pedestal and after a couple of minutes and some waggling the rocker cover's off. The ETIS says "carefully take out the rubber seal" which suggests to me that you would pull it out from above when by the look of it you would be better shoving it down into the rocker cover but you can safely leave it as long as you lubricate it so it doesn't get damaged.
Result!
Barry

Latest posts

Back