Really Crappy Brakes...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintGrimm

Hia,

How do people find the brakes on a 1.7 Puma? Mine are horrible. They give off a lot of dust and there are plenty of pad left but I'm half tempted to change them just to see if they are any less horrific.

If it matters any, the car had been stood over a year before I picked it up. I don't know if this matters to brake pads seeing as they are more solid than the moon.

Depending on what year your car is you may be able to get slightly larger brakes from a later model Puma.Alternatively there are other larger options you can try including from a mondeo.

SaintGrimm said:
Hia,

How do people find the brakes on a 1.7 Puma? Mine are horrible. They give off a lot of dust and there are plenty of pad left but I'm half tempted to change them just to see if they are any less horrific.

If it matters any, the car had been stood over a year before I picked it up. I don't know if this matters to brake pads seeing as they are more solid than the moon.

how does the pedal feel?

my fiesta has the smaller brakes like the early pumas and the brakes are amazing!. :wink: personally i found the standard ford pads rather hard and a cold feel to them ( I had them on around a year and they were same thickness practically when i removed them.. :eek: lol).. so i use the quality ford discs with Apec pads and they bite much harder on the first touch than my FRP by a long way.. :cool: changing the servo/inlet tube + seals can bring back a lot of pedal feel... :idea: :cool:

Im running the earlier smaller brakes, with braided hoses and they feel a lot better and more responsive than my other later puma with the larger brakes.

Hoses won't make a blind bit of difference, unless there's something wrong with your original ones of course...

It's all down to how well the WHOLE SYSTEM is working... you can't just change one part like the front discs and pads and expect a miracle cure.... I presume the car is still running it's original servo and master cylinder..?? also how good is the operation at the rear, this can make a huge difference to the overall 'feel' and bite.. :idea:

Chris

Back