Rear Brake Wear?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh Jass

Hi,

Still a bit new to all this. The brake pad wear looks wrong on my project car. Has anyone seen wear like this (is it normal)? I put the pads the wrong way round on my mini once and got a similar result but he leading edges look in the correct place to me? 20221010-Puma_Rear_Brake_Wear.jpg

I'd say the not normal part was the length of time since they were last changed/serviced by the looks of them. :funny:

Looks like they been wound out to the furthest they'll go too but if it was me I wouldn't worry about the uneven wear too much.
Depending on the mileage of the car I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were the original shoes & you are the first person to inspect them :lol:

I'd strip them out, give the whole drum/brake assembly a damn good clean etc & replace. The master cylinder could be caked in crap which could possibly be why one side is more worn so not pushing equally from both ends. That would be my first priority in cleaning it up & making sure it moves freely/equally both sides plus I'd also consider new springs.

Have fun & let us know/show us the end result once you're done :eek:k:

I saw something similar on my rear drums, worn at the top and little wear at the bottom of the shoes.
I replaced the springs, clips and adjusters. When I replaced the shoes later it was more even in wear (although still worn more at the top).

Thank you for your answers, much appreciated. I ordered new pads but they were too small. I didn't realise that the 1.7's had different pads depending on model year?

Attachments

• 20221014_135010.jpg
    20221014_135010.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
I'd say your wheel cylinder is seized, the rear piston is depressed while the front one is extended. I'd look at replacing those too.

wheel cyl.jpg

Thank you, I din't notice that. The whole car is bit depressed to be honest. It is the car I am going to learn to weld on. I should be expert by the time I am done. :grin:

Latest posts

Back