Restoration of 19688 - My Original Project Bankrupt!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XAF

So, the Puma is in the garage for the next week or so having the floor welded up in a similar fashion to tuonokid's Car (but nowhere near the same level of standard I imagine!). It's also having the bonnet, wings, bumper, passenger door and drivers sill painted.

I'm toying with the idea of doing something expensive and silly.... Going for a colour change. This is it a couple of weeks ago on the track, all resplendent in black.

XSP_5730_zps3e9009ef.jpg

Other than the floor, it's all very solid after doing this a few years back....

Now, I thought about Alfa Etna black (it's like a really, really dark pearl red), a bright vibrant candy red, but having seen an FRP today and a new Fiesta ST, I'm thinking of Imperial Blue.

Has anyone any pictures of a standard Puma in Imperial blue or is handy with Photoshop? Or do you think I'm mad and I should just stick with Panther?

Ooooh, just realised the Fiesta ST is Spirit Blue, not Imperial.

XAF said:
Now, I thought about Alfa Etna black (it's like a really, really dark pearl red), a bright vibrant candy red, but having seen an FRP today and a new Fiesta ST, I'm thinking of Imperial Blue.

What's the new fiesta st got to do with imperial blue?

Bright candy red pearl would get my vote.

tuonokid said:
Hi James
It's a nice car so keep it standard colour, my humble opinion. :grin:
Barry

You'll keep me honest Barry - and save me a few quid!

It's all part of the service James :grin:
Andrew and I are trying to fathom the track. Is that Cadwell before the start/finish straight?
Barry

tuonokid said:
It's all part of the service James :grin:
Andrew and I are trying to fathom the track. Is that Cadwell before the start/finish straight?
Barry

Yeah, spot on, 10 points!

Judging from the picture I'd say nothing needs to be done to your paint work as it is, it looks fantastic! If you are desperate to change the colour though it certainly won't look bad in Imperial Blue!

Cibbie said:
Judging from the picture I'd say nothing needs to be done to your paint work as it is, it looks fantastic! If you are desperate to change the colour though it certainly won't look bad in Imperial Blue!

Cheers mate, it shines up well, but the bumper and bonnet are covered in chips and some idiot keyed the wing.

I'm hoping my bodywork guys gives me a silly expensive price so I don't think twice!

I do like the Spirit Blue.. but its too close to Imperial blue.

If you're going for a colour change I say go for something thats a bit different and unique. Thats my opinion anyway ;)

Or... if your budget will stretch that far, have the repair but stay standard black. Then once the paint has had time to cure properly, have it wrapped in whatever colour takes your fancy. That way, once you're fed up with that colour, you can go back to the standard black with the minimum of effort, and the new paint job will still be pristine underneath with no stone chips. ;)

Cherie said:
Or... if your budget will stretch that far, have the repair but stay standard black. Then once the paint has had time to cure properly, have it wrapped in whatever colour takes your fancy. That way, once you're fed up with that colour, you can go back to the standard black with the minimum of effort, and the new paint job will still be pristine underneath with no stone chips. ;)

Now that's an interesting idea!!!!

I say no to Imperial, there are already standard Pumas going around in this colour, if you have the opportunity to stand out you should choose something appropriately different. :cool:

Well folks, truth be told I bottled it on a number of fronts! Ended up having it done in it's original Panther black, all new rear fogs, weather strips, number plates and rear window seals. Won't get it back for a week or so, but should look brand new.... I hope!!

Well, popped down to the bodyshop today to see how it was coming along and to drop off a few more new trim bits and bobs those kind folk at Ford had emptied my wallet for, and I'm one very happy Puma owner.

The job on the floor is fantastic, not quite finished but they have even started to replicate the factory brush strokes in the seam sealer. The MOT man will be a happy camper this year...

The rest of the car is nearly all rubbed down, windows out and all chips, dents and grot sorted. Won't get it back until next week, but shaping up to be money well spent in my eyes, these guys really appear to take pride in the job. Not sure the other half is quite so happy about my recent expenditure, but there you go!

Will post some more pics when it's all done and gleaming again...

Latest posts

Back