Restoration of 19688 - My Original Project Bankrupt!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi James
Looking good. Are you keeping note of the number of holes in the floor? I think on mine I used about 9" square of sheet steel and about 300 miles of MIG wire. Bet you can't wait to get it back and put all the interior back in.
The good news is I finally finished my floors today so it's nearly there now.
Barry

Well folks, I get it back this morning. Prepare for the photo avalanche! Fingers crossed it's as good job as I think it's gonna be...

Z-fella said:
How much was it? Really want my black cat done.

Well, thankfully the wife doesn't ever read my posts....

First of all there was the floor. To weld cut out the rust in the floor, let in new metal, paint top and bottom. Then bumpers off, side door glass, quarter glass out. Mirrors, lights weather strips, grille and washer jets / rear wiper badges and fogs out. Carpet liners taken out, sills and and inner edges of arches / wings Waxoyl'd. Dents in doors taken out, sills and door bottoms ground back where a couple of surface spots coming through and then whole car bar roof and rear bumper rubbed down and resprayed including the door shuts.

All rebuilt and new fogs, weatherstrips, badges, washer jets put on. Now remember, I am fully aware this isn't money well spent, it's not wise, and more than the car is worth, however, I've had the car 11 years, the service file is two inches thick and I happen to love it.

So, to get to the point after my heavy justification, £1450. Ouch!

Thanks. That's not as much as I thought it would be. A good condition puma would be just as much. I think you've done well. Good job!

Z-fella said:
Thanks. That's not as much as I thought it would be. A good condition puma would be just as much. I think you've done well. Good job!

They've done a fab job. Once the weather is better and I can get some decent pictures of it I'll get them posted up with a bit of a plug for the bodyshop.

Well, I've eventually got around to cleaning and polishing it properly since I got it back, and I have to say top marks to Jessops Autobodies in Horbury, Wakefield. Really good job on the painting and welding up of the floor.

Brian' said:
Wow! They've done a top job! Looks nice a Puma in fresh paint :eek:k: :eek:k:

Cheers Brian - looks even better in the flesh. Took my decent camera to take some pictures.... Shame both batteries were flat. Epic fail!!!

So, it's time to resurrect an old thread of mine, change the title and update on progress!

So after Ford Fair last year, the old girl got tucked up in the storage unit, cover on and forgotten until August whilst my time and money went on restoring the FRP.

Despite being left for 10 months with only a trickle charger for company, she started first turn of the key, and passed the MOT a few days later so happy days. Well, except for ever increasingly heavy clutch (the original after 150k and multiple track days!) and the fact it's passion for oozing every fluid out of every seal was getting worse...

The FRP was finished for now, so time for my first love to drain the bank account this year after 13 years of literally not needing to do anything other than routine servicing and the odd ABS sensor.

Step in Chris (eldude) to work his magic after doing the engine of 477 last year. So, time for the engine to come out and see what we've got...

Well, it's a mess. Loads of oil seepage and generally filthy. Turns out the intermediate drive shaft bearing was destroyed too which explained the rumbling I'd started to notice...

I'd decided if you're going to do it, you may as well do it properly, so head off to see what an engine that has been over serviced all its life with good oil looks like...

The answer is bloody good! Virtually no wear to be seen, just really coked up. Bores, cams and valves all perfectly serviceable. Had the head skimmed, cleaned up, valves lapped back in and rebuilt. Credit to Chris, it looks like a brand new engine inside!

I'd got a lot of the parts in my hoard after collecting for years, but valve stem seals was something I didn't have. They are still available from Ford, but total cost for the 16 seals? Just shy of £130. What?!!!!! Oh well, in for a penny....

The head and engine all back together...

Shame the bottom pulley lets the side down, but even I have to draw the line somewhere as the bill was getting BIG, and that was because of parts not labour!

Whilst the engine was out, it was time to replace the rusting power steering pipe, another thing I had in stock! What I didn't have was the unions to connect it to the rack and pump. Oh my god!! £30 for two single use nuts to go on the end of the pipe. I could have cried but it needed doing...

So, after new clutch, cambelt, waterpump, etc, etc, etc, what's it like?!! Well, it's bloody amazing! Over 13 years you don't notice performance disappear and vibrations appear, but you do notice when it's all 'right' again.

It's so smooth now, it feels more powerful and flys around the revs like it used to with no harshness. It's quiet and driving it home it was like the engine was brand new. Absolutely love it. Top, top work from Chris. Couldn't recommend him enough.

What of the FRP? Well, it's role reversal this year, parked in the storage unit hemmed in by a potato oven!

Over the winter, time to do some local rust repairs on the sill flanges on the black one so it's ready for next year. I swear these cars are like the Forth Road Bridge they are never quite finished....

The work you put into your cars makes me depressed about mine :-(

If I had the cash I'd be doing this to mine in a heartbeat - mostly because I'm too lazy to put the new engine in :lol:

:eek: can't believe the price of the seals!

Great work as always. Engine looks amazing.

Thanks guys. These cars are a labour of love, not financial sense!

It's never ending, but I take my hat of to you mate, haveing two mint puma's in your possession is just a dream come true.

Latest posts

Back