Restoration of 19688 - My Original Project Bankrupt!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Arch Bishop said:
[post]358420[/post] I take my hat off to you James! And also 'good show' to your wife for letting you get away with it! :grin:

Lee, there is a difference between letting me get away with it and maybe not declaring all work :lol:

Top work,

Dare I ask what you've put into the car from start to today? Not including purchase price?

stuvy said:
[post]358495[/post] Top work,

Dare I ask what you've put into the car from start to today? Not including purchase price?

Well, bear in mind I've had it 13 years now, it's quite a bit!
I haven't updated the spreadsheet in a while, but I'd dare say it's well over £16k. Sounds a lot, but bear in mind I've done 130k in her, and that's everything from servicing to indulgences. Less than 13p a mile. I bought a brand new 1 series once, that cost me 50p a mile in depreciation over 2 years!!!

XAF said:
[post]358513[/post]
stuvy said:
[post]358495[/post]
I haven't updated the spreadsheet in a while, but I'd dare say it's well over £16k.

Oh damn... and I thought my Puma had costed me a lot with 5k incl purchase. It's a lot of money for an old Ford. Restoring an FRP is even more expensive, but it's such a great car.

TylerB said:
[post]358527[/post]
XAF said:
[post]358513[/post]
stuvy said:
[post]358495[/post]
I haven't updated the spreadsheet in a while, but I'd dare say it's well over £16k.

Oh damn... and I thought my Puma had costed me a lot with 5k incl purchase. It's a lot of money for an old Ford. Restoring an FRP is even more expensive, but it's such a great car.

Let's not even talk about what the FRP has cost me!!

To assist others looking to replace their valve stem seals in the future.
A while back I made enquires about these via an engine parts supplier.
The 1.7 Yamaha engine valve seals are apparently the same as that used on a Mazda MX5 ,It was either the 1.6? 0r 1.8? engine. They are available for approximately £1 each, I think it was either Elring or Victor Reinz that made them.
Here's another optionhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA...l:Puma&hash=item419211c449:g:8qIAAMXQb29R37vp

DOH said:
[post]358777[/post] To assist others looking to replace their valve stem seals in the future.
A while back I made enquires about these via an engine parts supplier.
The 1.7 Yamaha engine valve seals are apparently the same as that used on a Mazda MX5 ,It was either the 1.6? 0r 1.8? engine. They are available for approximately £1 each, I think it was either Elring or Victor Reinz that made them.
Here's another optionhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA...l:Puma&hash=item419211c449:g:8qIAAMXQb29R37vp

I got all excited then, but those ebay ones look nothing like the original ones I'm afraid. Best option (now original head gaskets are no longer available is to buy an FAI or Elring head kit. You get all the gaskets and stem seals then for less than I paid for just stems!

With reference to the Elring or Reinz seals ,It's to do with the internal valve stem seal diameter and the diameter of the valve and also the diameter that fits over the valve guide in the head , if the Pumas match the MX5's stem seals, which they apparently do, then they will be suitable for the 1.7. So that avenue should be explored by taking an old OE seal and comparing them.

BTW, Stay away from the FAI head kit because the rocker cover gasket doesn't fit into the cover properly. I tried it and had to superglue it in various places and it leaked . Which resulted in me buying an OE Ford gasket.

fordrs1800 said:
[post]366782[/post] has anyone got a link to where to get them cosworth style wheels thanks

You can’t buy them new anymore, only secondhand (well, unless someone made me an offer I can’t refuse for the new set I have in the loft :p ).

The Mondeo ET40 are plentiful, but the ET35 are the ones you want with more of a dish and the right offset

Latest posts

Back