roll bar bushings

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumalee100

Hi
Anyone know the easiest way to change the anti roll bar bushings?
Cant see it in the how to guide
Thank you

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ha Ha ha I misread it as well, the only person round here who understands English is Croatian lol :-D

Well the proper way is drop front sub frame to get access to both bolts that hold the ARB bush clamp in place.......

Thats not much fun, havent done my Puma ones yet but on my MK4 Fezzy i just undid the accessable bolt to the front.

carefully bent the bracket up just enough to wiggle the bush along the roll bar so it can be removed.

Give everything a clean and lube up, then pop the new bush over the bar and wiggle into place.

Far easier than lowering the sub frame, however if your retaining brackets for the ARB bushes look tatty then there is a risk you may break them. Very small risk but its there.

Hope this helps, I'm not an expert, i'm sure one will be along shortly.

Cheers

Ian :grin:

Did my ARB's the same as above, not a problem so long as you take it easy with the bending, you need to lever the bracket nearly back into place then pull it the rest of the way down with the bolt, lines itself up as it goes.

did mine about a month or so ago, fiddly as hell but oh god is it worth it!

go easy when bending the clamp up - just do it barely enough or you'll really struggle to get the bolt to bite again when you're putting it back together

as above plenty of lube is the key!

Thanks guys for all the tips!

I have new control arms to put on to
They seem pretty straight forward? I hope!

spjmorris said:
did mine about a month or so ago, fiddly as hell but oh god is it worth it!

May I ask which bushes you put in? And were the old ones noticeably ageing? Mine look fine, but are probably 14 years old. I'm wondering what benefit I'd see, and between new OE and poly bushes.

Thanks.

Edit: standard ones by the looks of your project thread...

Hi Skippy, sorry I missed your reply.
yes I just used the standard rubber ones, you can see in my thread the state of the old ones...

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the car was transformed afterwards and the whole car feels so much tighter now, I was that impressed I also did the ones on my Cougar a week later (access there is ridiculous!)

Steve

No worries. I saw the thread After I engaged brain and looked. Mine didn't look as bad as your old ones from memory. I'll have the front wheels off at the weekend so I'll have a proper look and wiggle.

Not that bad, maybe. Is the arrow in huge picture pointing at perished rubber?..
IMG_0353.JPG

If I do swap them, is it worth using poly bushes so that I don't have to do it ever again?

It doesn't look that bad, but no idea how it looks from the other side which is behind the ARB.

I've got poly fitted to mine, but it can't say what effect they have as all my other bushes are all poly too.
Just for peace of mind in probably not having to change them again, and them being a bit awkward to get to then poly may be the better choice.

Thanks. The obscured bit looks much like that all the way under where the ARB passes through. My Puma feels good to me right now, but I drive a CR-V in the week, so I haven't got a fantastic reference!

my opinion - they're probably the ones that were on the car when it was built - new ones aren't expensive - it's a morning's work at most - just do it!

Well I was weak and got Powerflex. My reasoning was that I only want to do the job once and I fell for the 'performance' upgrade.

Anyway, it was a good while to fit. 3 hours including swearing. I don't like mangling bits! Result is that the handling is sorted how. No wallowing around and really predictable. I may have got this from boggo ones but I'm not about to find out!

Overall very happy, apart from the ABS light coming on before I did this!

Back