Rough idle/misfire

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyc1230

This is my problem, now and again, more often than not on idle hot or cold the engine has very rough idle or a slight misfire. It sounds horrid & is almost on the verge of stalling,
I have changed the plugs, leads & coil pack all has made no difference. If I let it tickover for to long the engine management light comes on. I've also done the ecu reset no change in running but the management light has not come on since.
Now I'm stuck any ideas?

Quick update, Had the nice man from the breakdown service run a diagnostic on the car.NO fault codes to report. Upon further investagation with the snap-on machine there is an intermitant fault with injector no.2, so im on the hunt for a replacement. Fords price is mental £129+vat.
So I now have a new question, Are the injectors just a straight swap job or do they need to be programmed in to the ecu like on the tdci engines?

Quick update, replacement injector fitted & all problems sorted. It must have been under fuelling throughout the revrange as the car goes so much better & is loads more responsive.

The problem is back again, I took all the plugs out & gapped them, their all a nice light brown colour. Took the injector rail off & turned the engine over, All injectors firing fine nice small bursts of fuel. Checked the loom no signes of a broken or worn wire.Put it all back together & ran great for about 30 miles then the porblem returned again. It only happens on tickover or under very light load,revving gently. Under normal driving load it runs just fine.
Any Ideas anyone as I am totally stuck.

andyc1230 said:
The problem is back again, I took all the plugs out & gapped them, their all a nice light brown colour. Took the injector rail off & turned the engine over, All injectors firing fine nice small bursts of fuel. Checked the loom no signes of a broken or worn wire.Put it all back together & ran great for about 30 miles then the problem returned again. It only happens on tickover or under very light load,revving gently. Under normal driving load it runs just fine.
Any Ideas anyone as I am totally stuck.

have you used a cheap aftermarket coil pack,as its always best to use an oe 1 or a very good high quality aftermarket part,and are the leads connected properly to plugs and coil pack

Yes used a good quality coil pack & the leads are connected properly.
martinthrapston said:
have you used a cheap aftermarket coil pack,as its always best to use an oe 1 or a very good high quality aftermarket part,and are the leads connected properly to plugs and coil pack

This problem is a right pain, I stop a a set of lights & it misses drive to the next set & stop & it ticks over fine. Just seams to come and go as it pleases. A right nightmere, as I know if I take it to a garage it will run fine then on the way home it will mess around.

Are you sure you haven't got a sensor problem? I would check the flywheel position sensor, make sure it's not got loads of swarf on it or that it's not damaged in any way, I've none of sensors on other vehicles to start breaking down but not bring on the eml

I'll have to check that out,if I can find it.
Ginger Tom said:
Are you sure you haven't got a sensor problem? I would check the flywheel position sensor, make sure it's not got loads of swarf on it or that it's not damaged in any way, I've none of sensors on other vehicles to start breaking down but not bring on the eml

I will have a look tomorrow,cheers for that. I was also thinking of changing the fuel filter as well,it has done 144k
Ginger Tom said:
It's located under the starter motor, need a torch to see it

Due to the continuation of the current drought conditions in the south I have not been able to have a look at any sensors or change the fuel filter. I have noticed that I do need a new thermostat housing as I can see that it is leaking. I will be having a good look & fix session at the weekend. Update to follow :?

Still no joy on sorting this problem, any new ideas or anyone in the Southampton area with a diagnostic setup and a bit of spare time?

I'm experiencing a misfiring problem too.

I'm not that far away from you. I probably can't help much but we could stand together looking into the engine bays, while slowly scratching our heads!

As you're in Southampton, have you thought about taking it to Richard at Tremona Garage in the Millbrook area? Puma Mecca, that place.

Back