Slightly confused..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfrp88

Hi there...

Was having a look through eBay when I spotted a car that had in the description section ...

'Brought over from the Chanel islands but not imported, no documents for spares only'

Does this mean that it can't be put back on the road over here?
Does VAT have to be paid?
Re-registering?

Not 100% sure on the legalities on this.

Can someone shed some light on this for me..

Cheers :thumbs:

I'm guessing this is car in question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311316660234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its a legitimate car garage selling, however would you be buying by engine and chassis number, or just a generic 'Red ford fiesta'

What needs to be asked is where is import tax paperwork, and VAT receipt, cars just can't appear and disappear, and if its proved that the chassis number left ford factory, and was exported to Guernsey, HMRC will want there cut based on the value, when it came back if not already paid + possibly interest, or they would have records based on chassis number.

How would you dispose of car not on the DVLA database?

Yes that's it... It's a shame there's such a large grey area on this issue. I would've considered getting it should I find somewhere to keep it. :-(

Not really grey, if its been here a while there will be a VAT bill based on the value when it came in.

Probably also needs a European Certificate of Conformity.

Also you're supposed to contact them if the vehicle is >10 yo - https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure why, but that looks like quite a few reasons why its basically ID-less. Bit naughty TBH. I would have thought the seller won't do themselves any favours approaching the matter in such a way. I'd have been disposing of it myself and standing whatever loss that attracts.

You'd also have to hope the VAT issue goes away as somebody somewhere is responsible for it, regardless of what happens to the car.

That's another reason to dispose yourself - at least you know its gone and you're not going to have any comeback when eventually the new keeper investigates trying to get it on the road. I'd be saying it came here illegitimately, its probably going to lose money and that's on your head. You wouldn't risk releasing it in to the wild as really, its still that guy's problem even down the line.

Also Jim - if you want an old Fiesta with a slipping clutch for 500 quid I'm sure we can come to some agreement. Mine will have reg plates though :lol:

I wouldn't have thought it would be classed as imported if it came from Guernsey as the channel islands are part of britain.

ok, scrub that, just looked and apparently its not lol.

Isn't Guernsey a Crown Dependancy like the Isle of Man? I'll never forget my first visit to the IoM TT and getting stung with a huge mobile bill for international calls!

I think for different purposes it will have different statuses. The important one in this case is the VAT liability which is my guess.

Latest posts

Back