Slipping clutch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywood

Hi all.

Ive tried searching but not quite got the hang of it yet so apologies!

My new puma, 1.7, seems to have a slipping clutch. It's done 77000 miles so I'm thinking it's the unfortunate cost of new clutch. But... Possibly just being optimistic here, but I've read that it may be a clutch release bearing sticking. When I drive sensibly, it doesn't slip, only when I give it a bit of welly. Similarly even if I load the gearbox I.e high gear low speed, it doesn't slip unless I stamp on the throttle. What's it likely to be do we think. I'm probably clutching at straws! The bite point seems ok, about mid travel for the pedal which makes me think it's not completely gone. Are they just weak on pumas, not really up to the job? I've seen people replace them with focus plates, presumably that's because they are a weak point?

I've noticed that the car doesn't immediately slow down when I release the throttle either, almost as though it's not responding quickly, although I am pretty sure it's unrelated and is almost probably me not used to it from my golf.

If the clutch is not stiff and the bite point is ok the clutch lining might be contaminated with oil from a leaking seal.

Just re-read your post. The lack of engine braking will just be the difference in what your used to. The 2.0 8v is quite a torquey engine low down and provides a fair amount of engine resistance off throttle. The Pumas peak power and torqe are high up the rev range so you won't get that same response unless coming off throttle at high revs...

Thanks everyone. Yippeekiay, thank you for your posts. I think I'll see how it goes for a week or two, its perfectly driveable. Cambelt is priority!

I thought as much with the engine braking, the torque on the golf was great! But thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Think my clutch may be on its way out having read the related posts ..... any idea how much a garage is likely to charge e to fit a new one please ?

Check the Puma Garage List in my sig below to find your nearest garage with Puma experience, as collated from feedback other forum members have left in the garages thread:

will do thanks, I've always used the same local one man operation but havent taken puma baby in yet, he'll be glad to see the back of my laguna he's been keeping going for the last few years for me.

Ha! I know, for a few days it didn't slip at all. Not even if I provoked it. It was only when it started to rain that it begun slipping again, but only a tiny amount. I was wondering if it was the plates 'drying out' after being sat for some time unused, but I don't know! Think I'll end up replacing it anyway. It's only money! Can't take it with you!

Back