Sometimes taking a little while to start?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodForbid

Hi all, I'm new here, got my lovely 2001 1.7 Puma last Monday and I love it to pieces it's my pride and joy!

Usually it starts straight away (no touching the throttle) starts up and sounds nice and crisp running very well. However a few times now - maybe 5 out of 100 starts - it's taken a good few turnovers to get it going, maybe 2-3 seconds of holding the ignition in and maybe having to touch the throttle before it starts.

The weird thing is it seems totally random, the engine isn't cold when it's done it so I don't think it has anything to do with the choke as the revs sit at about 900 straight away after it's started and the engine is warm (I'll have just popped into the shop or something).

I'm a little worried in case it's something nasty, but I have very limited knowledge when it comes to this sort of stuff (learning all the time) and well I thought I'd ask and see if anyone's had a similar problem / has any ideas.

Should I worry? Or is it normal? My old P reg 306 (that I sold for the Puma) Never once gave me this problem and that had 90,000 miles on it!

Thanks!

PS: Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, wasn't 100% sure where it should go.

Ive had this loads of, times. Its very intermitatant. Cant say ive ever been to concerned about it. I dont think you should be to concerned if its a few in a hundred. If it was like every other then maybe you should.

Hope that reasures you a bit :eek:k:

It usually happens after a short journey next time you try to fire the engine up.

Look for the hot start procedure in the manual :)

yeah..this is a common problem on Pu's. It happened to me when I first got mine but then I just turned the ignition so the dash lights come on but left it a couple or 3 seconds before starting the car so it gives it time to prime the fuel pump (you'll hear it whirring). I haven't had the starting problem ever since as I always follow the same procedure.

Hot start procedure.

Turn ignition on, accelerator pushed flat to the floor, start car, when engine fires up release accelerator = sorted.

Pumas do not like short runs.

pumapilot said:
Hot start procedure.

Turn ignition on, accelerator pushed flat to the floor, start car, when engine fires up release accelerator = sorted.

Pumas do not like short runs.

Sounds like the same thing you do when you have flooded it too.

Ahh that's a relief to hear it's all normal.

Thanks a lot :) I'll use the hot start procedure in future.

Yeah like others said, i wouldnt worry about it, my brother 2.0 focus does this sometimes too. My Puma is always fine starting, the only time its not is when i start it and turn the key back before the engine has fired up properly, so the engine dies before its even got going. Then i start it again and it will take 2 - 3 seconds, but this is more likely flooding.

Mark, do you not read threads before you post? The thread was started in August, so a bit late for a welcome!

:oops: Sorry Cherie. I just looked at the date of the post above mine, instead of looking at the date of the original post.

No worries. I've been a member of various forums for a few years now, and if I've learned one thing, it's always to take the time to read a thread before jumping in and posting. Not only does it save you from putting your foot in it, you can avoid repeating something someone else has already posted, and if nothing else, you'll understand the thread better without having to ask too many questions.

You don't win any prizes for posting more. Remember, it's quality over quantity. ;)

haGGard said:
My Puma is always fine starting, the only time its not is when i start it and turn the key back before the engine has fired up properly.

This can be prevented by turning the key, waiting until the fuel pump primes the system, whirring/buzzing noise from behind you, before starting up the car.
Puma is not a jump in and go car i'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back