Sparx's Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you wont realise how much a difference it makes to air charge temps unless you measure it. I can read my ECU figures and at an ambient temp of 20 C driving off boost, i would expect to see an ACT of about 30 ish or less on my car. Which i get... but leave it in traffic idling or parked up and the heat soak rapidly raises the ACT to 60 degrees!! even driving round it will still be up into the 40s.

So it is a worthwhile mod.

Hey all,

So I havent been online for a couple of weeks ... simply because i was too depressed to come on here :lol:

Pumba's been in the garage since Nov 21st. The day before she wasn't at all well, idle was all over the place, really "burbley" and kept cutting out during low revs whilst driving/approaching a junction.
So I pretty much limped her down to Silverback on the morning of the 21st and as I pulled into their driveway she cut out again. Right in the way of everything. So I left her there, then when asked to move her I started her up and something went pop :pinkeye: and then she didnt start agin after that.
So after figuring out what happened, they think she lost compression which made the crank pulley spin, pistons jumped and valves bent. 8 out of 16 i believe.

Good news: I originally had a new cambelt kit fitted in 2009, however It's on warranty as the cambelt was done AGAIN 6 months ago after having a problem with a faulty tensioner.

Bad news: The damage had been done and its been a big job... and i've been without her for two and a half weeks. The problem Silverback have is that they use an outside company called S&J Engineering who takes care of the head work - cutting in new valves and "shimming" the head.. which so i've been told takes alot longer than "skimming" the head. So they sent the head off on Thursday (24th) and still havent had it back yet as apparently this other company have been behind schedule. I heard from Silverback today and they are expecting it back tomorrow afternoon (at last!) so fingers crossed if nothing else goes wrong I should have her back by end of day Monday once they've put her back together again.

Its just been such a pain in the ass, having to rely on getting lifts to and from work, occasionally borrowing my other half's car when I can and I havent even been able to train at kickboxing without a way to get there - so i just feel so lazy and lathargic all the time :lol: i havent even started my christmas shopping yet!! :shock:

Anyway so thats my story.. hope I havent bored you too much :lol: and fingers crossed I get her back soon!!!

Sorry to hear of your woes... but at least it's now getting sorted :eek:k:

Great news Amanda,
god i must be spending to much time around yip online,i do the same,money in cards lol sod all that shopping buisness lol

Bloody hell I can't imagine how stressful that must have been, and no kickboxing to let it all out either!!!!

Good luck with Monday!

Ok so Pumba isn't coming home tonight :(

I got a call from Silverback this evening and Kieran told me that he's been putting her back together today, however he's ordered a new bolt for one of the pulleys, the old one looked a bit stretched and didnt wanna risk using it. He's expecting the part from Ford tomorrow, so hopefully she'll be ready for me to collect maybe in the afternoon.

He sent me a couple of pics of the head...

383974_10150397072397820_716482819_8748573_12197930_n.jpg

381003_10150397074897820_716482819_8748581_558942586_n.jpg

Just cant wait to get her back ...

EDIT:

This was her almost back together

391834_10150402751952820_716482819_8765794_1479377025_n.jpg

I picked her up today :D FINALLY got her back

375357_10150402530627820_116459163_n.jpg

She was pretty filthy so i took her straight to work and got her cleaned

393361_10150402707507820_1792342438_n.jpg

So all the work thats been does is as follows;

New Cambelt kit (third new one since i've had her!!!)
New Head Gasket kit
Head Skim & Shim
Exhaust Valves re-cut
All valve seats cut
New Inlet valves
Genuine crank seal
Genuine crank and cam bolts
Genuine modified lower pulleys
Oil change
New Spark plugs (one of the old ones had a crack in the ceramic causing the misfire)
New earth Lead
Fresh coolant/antifreeze
New auxilary belt (the last one was still squeaking)
While it was apart they gave it a good clean inside aswell

Well I have to say its been the longest 3 and a half weeks and i'm so happy to have her back. I drove her into work and she runs like a dream :wub:

I'm just glad most of that was on warranty as in the end it only cost me £175 in total.

I was reading the list of what had been done and was thinking '£' signs. Was not expecting that price!

Congratulations in getting her back... you must be well chuffed!! :lol:

Back