Speedo not working?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iank

Hi all Newbie Ian here
Having just purchaced a 1.7 puma (2001 digital mileage) to replace a 328 bmw the speedo is not working, having worked in the garage industry when cars where less complicated (yes im over 40) having gone through the pages on here the speedo is electricaly opperated and the transmitter is screwed on top of the gearbox above the driveshafts?and this can be checked by removing and turning the plug with a drill? I did google the speedo fault and i got slightly missleading results I take it the roll pin holds the speedo drive into the gearbox can this be removed without taking the gearbox out if need be. Any idea what the cost is of the transmitter if it is that Many thanks IanK

Hi Ian, its only the speedo gear thats held in with the roll pin, and thats a nightmare to remove with the gearbox out, let alone with the gearbox still fitted. If the gear is ok, then you can just unscrew the transducer from the top, thats the bit that converts the analogue signal to a digital one for the speedo. You just unplug the triangular plug one end, and then unscrew the black transducer from the top of the box, it has a 'hex' shape on the bottom so you can get mole grips on it or a big spanner. Thats more likely to be the problem then the gear inside the box.

This is the part you need
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-MK4-1-2-12V-Gearbox-Speedo-Transducer-95BB9E731BA-1999-2002-/200750581110?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebdaac576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi many thanks for that it looks the same i will have to remove the old one and check the part numbers are the same after trying the drill on it first. Cheers and happy motoring Ian

iank said:
Hi many thanks for that it looks the same i will have to remove the old one and check the part numbers are the same after trying the drill on it first. Cheers and happy motoring Ian
them things new are stoooooooooooopid price! i work for a franchise that deals with ford parts,i had to shell out for one last year and it was over £70 and thats with discount! but mine was the same but i didnt have a pin to remove,it just screwed in to the top of the gearbox.still got to brown and red plastic cogs.if you need them let me no,will be very cheap

Back