Spraying Plastic

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

I've got some plastic bits and pieces to spray up and I haven't used rattle cans in a good while.

I'll be needing a suitable primer, top coat and then possibly a gloss/lacquer coat. Anyone have any links to known good brands of these?

Thanks.

Hi Frank
I always use a plastic primer and I have a can in the garage, when it stops pi***ng it down I'll have a walk out and see what make it is. As for top coats acrylic can be damaged by petrol and maybe other solvents and I don't know whether cellulose is still available in rattle cans and two pack is deeply poisonous so take your pick.
Barry

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-POL-1K-Plastic-Primer-Adhesion-Promotor-600ml-Aerosol-/201542178734?hash=item2eecd997ae:g:6a4AAOxyBvZTU59E

For the top coat I use Standocryl 2K HS topcoat which is mixed into a rattle can by my local branch of Wood Autos. I would imagine there is a clear coat for this as well.

Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]349999[/post] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-POL-1K-Plastic-Primer-Adhesion-Promotor-600ml-Aerosol-/201542178734?hash=item2eecd997ae:g:6a4AAOxyBvZTU59E

For the top coat I use Standocryl 2K HS topcoat which is mixed into a rattle can by my local branch of Wood Autos. I would imagine there is a clear coat for this as well.

Barry
Thanks, Barry

I was told to use 'good quality acrylic gloss' for this job. Trouble is, I don't know which brands are good quality or not. But yeah, fear not, I wasn't going to use 2 pack as I've seen Edd China beat a very hasty retreat whenever that stuff is around. :)

Hi Frank
I think that Carplan stuff is acrylic but not impressed with the shine, and it does mark up with petrol. I think the Standocryl is an isocyanite type but if you're just using a rattle can don't breath whilst you're spraying it and make sure the wind isn't blowing it back in your face.
Barry

Hi Frank
Just checked in my garage and maybe I'm wrong about Carplan but plasticote is acrylic.
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]350010[/post] but plasticote is acrylic
Good, plastikote spray it is. Sorted.

Thanks, Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]350005[/post] an isocyanite type but if you're just using a rattle can don't breath whilst you're spraying it and make sure the wind isn't blowing it back in your face
Not going to happen. ;)

Latest posts

Back