Tapping/Knocking noise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparx

I've got a noise coming from the sort gear box area of the engine, its like a heavy tapping/light knocking noise on idle.
The noise stops when I press the clutch.
I've recently had a new clutch and slave cylinder (back in March)

Any ideas?

Just a gues, but perhaps the pressure plate screws on the clutch have loosend? Have experienced this before. And it can manifest like you describe.

Well I say the clutch was replaced in March, but the engine was swapped last month.. and the noise only begun to occur after it had the engine swap.

Could it be to do with having taken the clutch off of the old engine and put onto the new one?

It is possible.. Did you swap the flywheel as wel? If you did, it might be the flywheel bolts as wel. Seeing as it goes away when you pres the clutch, it's fairly certan that you need to take the gearbox off and check...

Tom very kindly came round today to pull Pumba apart again and diagnose the problem. Turns out the gearbox input shaft has play in it and thats whats causing the sound.

Apparently nothing to really worry about.. will be good for a while yet. But i'm hoping to get the gearbox replaced eventually anyway :)

Thanks to Tom for his help today :eek:k:

Back