terrible brakes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby4Puma

I know this is a common problem on the puma but how can i fix it? The brakes are so bad...i dont hear any noises when i brake so its not the pads...i have to push the pedal very hard to brake :( the pedal its gettibg harder after the second or 3rd push...so maybe it caught some air ?

Could start with bleeding them. Any air in the system can make them feel soft or spongy.

Unfortunately my knoledge and skills are limited so ill do that when i will get to a mechanic...and that would be the easiest option...i was curious if there are any other reasons to be like that?

Just to clarify, when you say pushing hard, do you mean the pedal is extremely stiff and you need to push hard to get it to apply the brakes?

Or do you mean the pedal is normal/easy to push and you are having to stomp it to the floor to get any braking done?

Second one...its soft...and i need to push harder than normal to be effective...after the second or thirs succesive push the pedal gets stiffer...u know what i mean?

pedal will get harder if pumped quickly,might be worth changing brake fluid,also bleed clutch aswell if doing this,also change front pads and discs if worn

Check at the back of wheel rims for fluid dampness from a leaking cylinder and check flexihoses for weeping.

The level is ok...but i see some fluid on the rims dried out...i will check it again later now im at work...but the level seems ok

As said, check rear wheel cylinders for fluid leakage.
The 240mm brakes on early cars are horrendous, the 260mm a bit better. Our thunder cane with a well seized near side caliper, I outed the 260mm stuff in favour of some 280mm st150 discs and calipers, the result is a car with brakes to match its performance.
If you can't afford a brake transplant, stripping, cleaning and replacing pads and shoes on your existing brakes will help no end on

Ill check the rear...i read that there is a conversion with mondeo brakes 300mm i think...from a tunning company from london...i found it here on the forum...but i forgot the name....how much would be for the st150 discs and calipers? How about the master cylinder or how its called? It can do the job with bigger discs? Tnx

I got st150 calipers and discs from eBay for 80 quid, they are a straight fit requiring no modification to the car.
If you have standard propeller type wheels they do not clear the face of the caliper without fitting a 3mm wheel spacer.
The 300mm disc are from an st170 and use mondeo calipers, this requires caliper mounts to be drilled out to 12.5 mm and the caliper grinding to fit a 15" wheel, wether a propeller wheel clears without a spacer I am unsure of.
All parts available on eBay, I wouldn't by a kit as they will be over priced repainted secondhand stuff anyway.

I was just checking the black diamond option....for about 170 quids....did u bought the st ones new? Or second hand? Any mods to the rear as well? Or just changed the front? I have propeller wheels......i would change the drums on the back as well with discs...but i dont know what discs and calipers i need on the back

sechond hand st150 stuff from ebay, all in good nick so loads of money saved there!
no need to mod the rear, the stopping power with st150 or the 300mm conversion is plenty good enough, rear disc conversion is not need IMHO
as for porpeller wheels, they will not clear the st150 calipers without 3mm spacers, this is the maximum you can fit without going to hubcentric spacers. the 300mm conversion i can not be sure on.
its a slippery slope modifying cars, one thing leads to another.....

So u have spacers? So i need st150 discs calipers and brake pads? And i find them all on ebay? Hows the handling with spacers on? Im not going on track with it so if u say that front conversion is fine, ill go with that...tnank u very much for the info....maybe ill buy new pads and get discs and calipers...i read here that someone is refurbishing the st150 calipers...what pads should i get? Or to get it cheaper i should get some good st used pads and then change them when they will wear off?

my spare is a propeller wheel, for reasons i have yet to discover! i need the spacer for the spare, but as the later thunder and f1 split style rims are dished enough to clear the rim i dont use them day in day out. 3mm spacers are widely recognised as being the maximum you can use before going over to hub centric spacers.
as for pads, i have ebc ultimax pads, performance is very good, couldnt see the point of red or green stuff poads on a road car, as our other car is a 2011 octavia the brakes on the puma needed bringing into the 21st century!!

I was checking on ebay now....what mk st150 fiesta brakes is working on puma?mk 5,6,7?

Man i would love this on my puma :)
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=171046772810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so its mk6?

Back