The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's something I haven't considered! Would there be any other symptoms that would point to this? I'm thinking about the strange noise that I still have on the gearbox side at the front and the gear-shift in particular. Would the shift quality be reduced by the gearbox shifting around on its mount?

I just clashed the correct oil in as a temp measure just to drain the bits out to stop every gear fucking up before I got a fresh box

Well I've just submitted a for sale post for Jegger (again) to see if there's any interest. I'm trying to get some money together so I can cover an extended maternity leave for my wife.

If I can get a decent price then great, if not well I won't be too bothered!

Rather than last time where I caved and kept it, this time I've promised myself that I will save up next year and get another as I'm not finished with Puma's yet!! :cool:

Incidentally, the gearbox was fine this morning probably due to the warmer weather. Weird! Obviously does need some fresh oil though as it was very grumpy on Friday.

Yeah, still not sold....

Anyway, had my first warning light today. The airbag four flash jobby so I'll be routing around under the seats and cleaning connectors at the weekend.

Yup, that's as exciting as it gets at the moment!

Just discovered this thread and read it from start to finish as it's a very good read :) . Please do keep it as you've spent so much on it already, it'd be daft to sell. You'll only get a couple of hundred for it now anyway with the age of it so it makes no sense to sell it as all that money you've spent on it will have been for nothing. Come on you know it makes sense (to keep it :grin: ).

Yes, that is a consideration, but it's a hobby and profit is never part of the equation! The biggest problem with selling it is that it's really handy. My daily needs a MOT that I forgot all about but Jegger has been a great reserve commuter!

My biggest gripe is the gearbox (Scubasteve sugested that 5th gear has started working off the shaft which I reckon is right) which is a bit annoying. Other things like the knackered (still) feeling suspension also detract a bit.

The final downer is the lack of time I get to tinker at the moment!

Jegger's still rattling along nicely.

Today, an aggressively driven Jaguar XKR decided that a 30 zone was a great place to hoon past at 70mph. Reaching the National speed limit, I though 'Oh sod this' and, not letting a 230bhp disadvantage put me off, set off to reel him in.

The road is a very twisty b-road with a few short straights thrown in. It took about half a mile to catch him among the bends. for 3 miles, I chased him with him pulling away on the straights and me easily catching him in the bends. It'd be easy to say that he just wasn't very good at driving the corners, but he was using all the road and the thing was heeling over alarmingly while the tired old Puma danced up to him very easily.

Eventually we reached a 30 zone again and he took off at about 80 through it. Twat.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that there's not a lot of cars that can keep up with a Puma through the corners. Oh, and XKR's are sometimes driven by utter bell-ends. :)

Always a pleasure to hear how Jegger is getting on; good to hear he's still punching well above his weight and giving the bigger boys something to think about! :thumbs:

definately keeps it :)

I have to agree with Neil with it being an enjoyable project to read through considering how much you paid for it :eek:k:

Are you still planning on selling? If you've still got it come the end of the year I'd be interested!

It's on Piston Heads at the min for £550. My heart still isn't really in it though! Are you sure you would want it Neil? It's pretty ruined! There's a reason I haven't put it on the classifieds here you know!

Wednesday will be a day for me to spend on Jegger though. Time for a service and to investigate the low-hanging gearbox.

I have been tempted!

It's not quite financially viable to shift the Beige Box yet, but hopefully will be towards the end of the year - Ill need a cheap fun stop gap car to replace it with :)

It would never just be a stop-gap car though would it? :lol:

To be fair, if you waited until the end of the year, I'll have spent some more money on it by then... :roll:

Service day! I took the opportunity of some spare time to do a minor service today. Oil, filter, air filter and, as a special treat, the pollen filter.

Goodies to the tune of £35;

filters.jpg

Old pollen filter vs new. Wonder when it was last changed?

pollen_filter-1.jpg

Then, as soon as I got the tools out we had a total downpour complete with a smattering of hail;

hail.jpg

Last time I did a service, it snowed so I should have expected this really! Anyway, getting the oil filter out wasn't the problem it was last time and all went smoothly. Huzzah and all that.

To celebrate, I went and did some man shopping. More goodies;

pie.jpg

Pie and beer. A great end to any day.

Yeah, you can't move for black market pies round our way! They look like real pies until you cut into them when you find they're full of old newspaper and string. Can't believe the government don't do anything about it frankly! Shocking...

Ahem, nah the real pie company make pies that are full of actual meat as opposed to some dubious gravy and a few bits of apologetic gristle. These pies look like some has said 'Hey! I wonder how much meat I can get into a standard sized pie without the aid of an industrial press?' They are, in short, great pies.

Yeah, you can't move for black market pies round our way! They look like real pies until you cut into them when you find they're full of old newspaper and string. Can't believe the government don't do anything about it frankly! Shocking...

:grin: :grin: :grin:

And how long have you been a salesman for the real pie company lol :grin:

I bought a pie from Tesco once - it appeared to be comprised primarily of ideas. At least I assume that's what it was made of, as there was bugger all else in there.

It had certainly never seen a cow.

PS: Still loving your work, Arch! :thumbs: Although your photo of manly comestibles is ruined by the jar of caramel-coated polystyrene discs in the background.

Back