The gunky steering wheel. Help!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]349888[/post] Just to (re)spark the idea, this was the last SW redone as per order.... :cool:

I'm still bang up for this!! I want an FRP and normal wheel doing. May even go for two of each!

nice looking wheel, i replaced mine with a mk4 fiesta one, all second hand pumas wheels seem to have te same problem, saw one on ebay for £150, fully retrimmed

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]349888[/post] Just to (re)spark the idea, this was the last SW redone as per order.... :cool:

That looks pretty damned good! How much and where from, Wild E? I'm on my second Steering Wheel now - and this one is just starting peel like the first one did.

A bit of a Thread Resurrection here...

After far too long promising myself to get a new Steering Wheel fitted, I finally sourced (yet another) second-hand one. Instead of simply having this fitted, I sent it all the way across Europe to Wild E. Coyote. Despite a moment of panic when it seemed to disappear somewhere in Croatia, it finally reached Wild E. Coyote. A few weeks later it returned to the UK - freshly re-trimmed and looking, well, quite bloody fabulous.

The next step - actually fitting it. I decided, having seen Red's guiding steps (https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=66) to attempt this myself. Now, anyone who knows me will tell you what a onerous task this is for me - I can hammer things into walls to put up pictures (and rip things out of walls when the pictures get changed), no problem, but anything beyond that is a bit daunting. Even Mrs.T66, when I told her I was going to fit the Steering Wheel myself, said "Oh God, no - can't you get someone, anyone, to do it for you...?"

Nevertheless, with my enthusiasm undiminshed and unfaltering in the promise of having a Steering Wheel that didn't shed sticky bits of gunk when I drove it, I borrowed the tools listed on Red's guide and proceeded with the task in hand.

An hour later...

[image]5917[/image]

[image]5918[/image]

So, thank you firstly to Red - if you can write a guide that even I can follow you are a genius.

A second thank you to Dal for pointing out that I actually have a gallery on my profile so I can show the photos...

...and lastly, a MASSIVE thank you to Wild E. Coyote for putting up with me being totally hopeless and completely getting lost in trying to pay for the retrimming of the SW due to my inadequate online banking system. Brilliant service, and tremendous help and advice. Thank you.

:cool: looks very smart! Sounds like it all came together well in the end.

I haven't written a guide in longer than I care to remember for a car but I'm glad they're still coming in handy!

Oh wow. That looks amazing!!!!! The stitching is fabulous!

XAF said:
[post]368001[/post] Oh wow. That looks amazing!!!!! The stitching is fabulous!

Thanks XAF - I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I thought the red stitching might lift the interior a little and tie-in with the other little red bits in there (including my rare Ford badge for 4 Le Mans victories on the Radio fascia!). Wild E''s trimming chap did a fantastic job, no doubt.

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]367992[/post] No probs, mate, glad you like it and that it looks good! It is, IMHO, one of easiest way to lift up the interiour massively with retrimmed SW....

Ah yes - that seems to be the only downside. I need to get the rest of the interior cleaned a little more now! :)

red said:
[post]367990[/post] :cool: looks very smart! Sounds like it all came together well in the end.

I haven't written a guide in longer than I care to remember for a car but I'm glad they're still coming in handy!

No worries, Red - I've sorted the cover out for you - you just need to fill in the empty pages now...

[image]5919[/image]

Just to clarify for the majority of owners, the standard wheel covering on bog standard Pumas IS NOT LEATHER. So many posts have made this assumption and as a leatherworker of twenty years I can tell you that it is faux, or PVC to most people. There have been misleading references on internet markets to refer to synthetic leather as just leather, and you'd be surprised how many people don't know the difference. PVC wheels perish over time, and can not be successfully restored, only coated to arrest decay.

Latest posts

Back